career college or university?

So I have decided to finally go back to school. I am a mother of two so Iwant to get it over quick but I also want to make it worth my money. Should I take a chance on a career college or should I just go to a university???

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in

• It depends on what you want to do. Some technical school degrees earn more money than university degrees. (and vice versa). What type of career are you looking for?
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I agree with the above...what do you want to do, that would help in giving advice :)
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i guess healthcare i'm not sure what i wanna do
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I went to a technical school and am now a nurse (LPN), 3 yrs ago I was making $10.50 working in day care in now I make $19 as a peds nurse. If health care is how you wanna go, and need to make better money faster a technical school is a good way to go. I am now taking classes a little at a time to get my RN. It takes less time to do the LPN to RN program than straight RN, and in the mean time I am making decent $. But beware - the nursing program is HARD and INTENSE, so prepare your self mentally for that. :)
    Good luck!!!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Most technical schools offer a certificate in CNA, Medical Assisting, Dental Assistant, Dental Hygienist, Phlebotomy, LPN, Pharmacy Tech. etc. Some even offer an A.S. in Nursing. At a University you would have the option of B.S. in Nursing, Occupational Therapy, Physicians Assistant, Pharmacy etc (some of these would require you to go on and get a Master's before you are certified. Of these degrees that I listed a CNA takes anywhere from 5 weeks- 4 months to become and they make anywhere from $8-$14 an hour. A Physicians Assistant takes 6 years and makes around $100,000 a year. Anyways, if you are looking for something quick then I would go through a Technical school or Community college. I know several people who first got their CNA's and worked while going to school to become an R.N. Most medical places will pay or reimburse your tuition. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• There are alot of on line schools that will allow you to get an associat or bs pretty fast, 15months to 3 years total. At least that is what they are telling me and that is what I am starting. I never liked school and have two kids still in middle school so I want to get it over fast. I could never do anything medical though, I don't like the blood. Good luck
    Gemaof4

Answer by Gemaof4 at 10:25 PM on Feb. 1, 2010