Sign says: "Is your daughter/son safe from rape/bullying?"

We have a martial arts place near us that is reopening with new owners. That's the banner hanging outside to try and drum up business. My initial reaction was I question the judgment of someone who would hang up that sign too much to want to trust them to train my child. Just me? Would you have any interest in checking the place out?

I'm thinking, one it's awfully blunt, two, thanks for introducing all the new readers in the neighborhood to the word "rape", and three, grossly overconfident.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 6:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would not want to tkae my lil one some where with a sighn saying RAPE on it - classless
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 6:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• No I would not want my kids to read that.

They should have instead focused on building confidence etc...
    Anonymous

• wouldn't go near the place. also it's untrue. I don't care what kind of trainning and so on u r never safe
    Anonymous

• Does the truth always shock you so much Mom? Seriously, it's true isn't it? Not to mention that this is exactly the kind of reaction they are looking for with advertising.....

Parents can be so clueless...
    Anonymous

• Not to mention that this is exactly the kind of reaction they are looking for with advertising.

For people to think they have poor judgment and shouldn't be trusted with kids?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I think "Is your child safe from bullying?" would have been way more appropriate. I'm a smart person I can deduce that self defense classes can help protect my child against rape. I don't need to read it on a big banner and I don't need my 7 yo reading it and asking me what it means either. Would not go there.
    Anonymous

• Well to point out the obvious, just bc you know martial arts doesn't mean you'll never be raped or bullied. Ask the instructor what your daughter should do martial arts wise if she wakes up in the middle of the night to find a masked man straddling her holding a gun to her face, pretty sure he'll eventually tell you to tell her to go along w/ it so he won't kill her. Also is your kid supposed to beat up every bully he encounters? Doesn't this make him the bully? Sounds uneducated & the reason they hung the sign was for shock value. Can't imagine how many parents are going to be answering the "Hey what does rape mean?" ? they've now brought to the forefront. Sounds like they could use some education.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Obviously he's trying to make a point and I WOULD go in there but I don't like the "rape" question only because I wouldn't want to explain it to my 5 and 7 year old. Meaning, I wouldn't be afraid of the owner as a trainer or instructor. I'd do anything to keep my kids safe.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It is odd but I applaud them for raising awareness about rape. Someone said it was classless. It is a shame that such a horrible crime that happens so often is kept in the dark because we would rather not face it.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• my mom made me enroll in a self defence class when i was in highschool before i was allowed to date. she took it with me and really i didnt learn very much from it. i dont think it is a bad thing for girls to do. i dont think taking a self defence class could save you if a man wanted to attack you. seems like a scare tactic. the economy is bad...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2010