dilation

I'm 36 weeks and 6 days. The next time I go to the doctor will be 37 weeks 1 day. Is it normal that he hasn't checked for dilation or anything? Or when will they start to check?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• my doctor usually starts checking around 36 to 37 weeks unless you have shown signs that you could be going into labor. like lots of BH. but other than that usually around 36-37 weeks, so he will prolly do it at this next visit. if not then ask him when he plans on doing it
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 7:22 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• actually you dont really want them checking too much it introduces bacteria everytime they check you-- if your 4 and paper thin or 0 and thick has NO effect on your over all labor or its progression--- when you are high risk (which you are not since you are term) you want them to check inc ase you need a curclage
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• my OB for baby one and two didn't believe in checking for dilation. the only reason I ended up being checked was because I ended up in hospital with each for false labour.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 7:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• My doctor never checks at all during pregnancy and very limited during labor. Its useless information anyway, being x cm dilated doesnt say when you will go into labor, it doesnt predict anything. It only adds stress and bacteria to the mothers.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 7:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Many providers never do any checking. Mine don't, so I never have with my pregnancies.
    If you want it, you may request it, but it isn't necessary.
    There are reasons to avoid it, so you might want to consider that, too.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010