My granddaughter has a very hard time with her bowel movements. Does anyone have any suggestions that may help me?

My granddaughter is almost 19 months old and this has been going on since she was born all the doctors are telling her mom that this is normal. But each time she tries to have a bowel movement she is in so much pain and cant really ever pass anything . any help would be greatly appreciated

crazystang

Asked by crazystang at 7:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Health

• up the RAW fruits and veggies, and cut out the dairy- if she drinks milk, it should NEVER be more than 16 oz a day... dairy will constipate a child because of the the incapability of the HUMAN body to digest COW milk.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• give alot of water.more fiber.there's that benefiber for kids you could give a try
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• lots more clear fluids (a minimum of 24 ounces a day) (daily)
    prune juice or prunes (daily)
    cut out cereal--rice barley and oatmeal all of them-- eat baby yogurt instead--(daily)

MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 7:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• she might be lactose intolerant so try soy milk or rice milk for a while.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Fleet Pedia-Lax now makes a fiber gummy. My 4 and 1/2 yr old has the same problem. She gets 3 gummies a day and it really helps. Raw fruits isn't always the answer and neither is more clear fluids. My daughter would eat 4 whole apples a day and that didn't help. The gummies have been our best option. I know Walgreens sell it. It is by the stool softners and laxatives.
    fergie0220

Answer by fergie0220 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• That's always been a problem for me too. I give my 19 month old at Pediasure with Fiber and it's a big help. It's easier than trying to force him to eat foods he doesn't want to eat.
    benjamink

Answer by benjamink at 9:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• More fiber, prune juice(put it in the freezer for 20 mins they will drink it much better if it is really cold), and think about seeing a chiroprator. My oldest had this problem. When it gets really bad after all this. We see the chiropater and within 2 hrs she has a movement. The adjustment helps get fluids flowing in that area.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I would look at what the child eats and drinks: eliminate, or cut way back on, meat, white flour and other simple grains, dairy, bananas, high fructose corn syrup and other processed sugars. She should be drinking lots of water, and eat meals and snacks based around fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms

Answer by admckenzie at 11:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Answered at 7:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 by: truealaskanmom
    she might be lactose intolerant so try soy milk or rice milk for a while.

Both of my children has this problem and the pediatrician tried to tell me that it could not be lactose intolerance because he said that would cause the opposite affect - took them to a specialist that deals with children and digestive problems and he diagnosed the lactose intolerance - after taking them off all lactose products, it took about a week, and the problem seemed to start taking care of itself! I didn't use soy or rice - I bought them the lactaid products (mild, cheese, etc...) and they really weren't bothered by the change in tastes.
    BarbaraJean1961

Answer by BarbaraJean1961 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2010