Just ordered my boys (8mth and 27mths) My Baby Can Read, I heard good reviews but has anyone here used the program. Does it work? I was suprised at the price and am keeping my fingers crossed.

mommymulvey

Asked by mommymulvey at 7:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just want to know what did it cost?
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• its memorization.the babies are not learning by sounding words out,and do not understand the dynamic behind WHY the certain letters spell that word.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• TMJ121099- Is it a bad thing for them to memorize though? Will it hurt them when it comes time for them to learn how to sound out words? I don't know, I'm just curious because I have thought the same thing, that it's just memorizing.
    Anonymous

• They dont teach kids how to sound out words any more its all about site words a friend of mine her son is in kindergarden and has 100 that he needs to know by the end of the school year.
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Why would you want your babies to know how to read? Are you really that bored?
    Anonymous

• It isn't a "bad" thing but you NEED to teach them phonics as well. Memorization can only get you so far, because if you see a new word you most likely won't be able to pronounce it.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 8:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• In my kids school, they teach a combination of phonics (sounding it out) and sight words (memorization). There was a review of Your Baby Can Read in Parents magazine not too long ago and their experts said that you can teach your baby to read very early. BUT, they are not developmentally ready to learn so you're going to be expending a lot of time and energy to teach them to read when they aren't ready. However, if you teach them to read when they are 4, 5 and are developmentally ready it will take much less time. And the time that you would spend teaching them how to read when they aren't ready would be much better spent focusing on other things that they ARE developmentally ready for.

Answer by missanc at 8:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It doesn't just teach reading it also helps with verbal skills, they learn to communicate better, and it is giving an early foundation which will make later learning easier for them. Kids are expected to know things much earlier in school than we were and it is more stressful on students, parents, and teachers. This type of program will give them an edge in school so that they aren't stressed out and struggling to keep up with the unrealistic expectations of the early educational system now. I was a teacher before staying home, and I am going to get this system for my DD and the baby on the way. They teach reading at school very much in this way and it DOES teach phonics skills later in the program site words always always come first in any educational setting for good reading. I also suggest ebay for purchase it is much cheaper.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It just teaches memorization. As for the person who asked is that so bad, kinda. It makes it harder for kids later on. They have to learn phonics and get frustrated to have to start over. I learned that 2 years ago in my textbook about how to teach kids reading.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I bought it for my son just because I figured it was better than him watching annoying cartoons on tv. He's only 11 months old and he hasn't shown any signs that it "works" but he will sit and watch the entire dvd. That's a lot to say for an 11 month old! Sometimes he will wave or put his arms up when watching it but I think he's just copying the other kids on the dvd not "reading." Can't hurt!

jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010