ladies HELP! quick!

my husband has his own bank account and we had one together. He would give me his card to go buy things. I recently left him because he would change the locks on the doors on me and my older son. he even went as far as to board them up so we couldnt get out clothes or food. Anyway...i used his card from his account and bought airline tickets to get me and my son out of there. My name is not on that account. is it still marital property? they cost $180. each. my account only had my unemployment chks dep and i had to pay all bills. does he have a case? what can i do?

tucsonmomof2

Asked by tucsonmomof2 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I don't know how it works legally, but in my opinion, as long as you're still actually married, the money belongs to both of you. I'm so glad you have left the abuse! Stay safe, momma.
    Anonymous

• Yes it is marital property.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• if you married its your too...even if its only his name on the account...
    rosie2guns

Answer by rosie2guns at 8:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• yep its yours too
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• If he gave you the card it's usually considered that he is giving you permission to use the account. Since you are married I wouldn't sweat it. I don't think a Prosecutor would bother charging you with anything especially if you told them why you had to take it. I'd call a domestic violence shelter in your area and just ask their attorney though.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• He has no case against you. That is yours and his money, it is marital property
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2010