Is sex before 6 weeks safe?

I've heard so many moms say I'd be way too exhausted for sex after my baby was born. But the little one is 3 weeks old and I'm finding I've got the energy, and the desire. I had an emergency c-section, but I haven't taken any pain medicine for about a week now. My doctor wants to see me at 6 weeks to determine the safety of sex and whatnot. Is it safe to have sex early, or would that make my healing regress? It's frustrating, having my husband tell me it's not a good idea when I'm thinking about it all the time.

Jessica_Esqueda

Asked by Jessica_Esqueda at 8:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• The reason they say not to have sex until six weeks is because your uterus needs to heal, there has been a major trauma, doubly so because you had a major surgery. IMO, and most doctors it is not worth the risk of infection.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I did it after my emergency c section just as long as you are slow and gentle about it and he doesn't put pressure on your stomach.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• my husband and i waited 12 weeks after i had my c-secton before we had sex again. i wuold not have sex till yor 6 week appt
    ashmomoftwins

Answer by ashmomoftwins at 8:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I would wait 6 weeks, you could get pregnant again.
    Anonymous

• "The reason they say not to have sex until six weeks is because your uterus needs to heal, there has been a major trauma, doubly so because you had a major surgery. IMO, and most doctors it is not worth the risk of infection. "

I agree with here.
    Anonymous

• Most people don't wait. I didn't wait after either one of my c-sections. I'm not saying its the thing to do though. You should wait.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• So itsnot based on individual progress? I mean I feel great, and I miss my husband. We couldnt do much while I was pregnant.
    Jessica_Esqueda

Answer by Jessica_Esqueda at 9:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• so do everything but intercourse if you can't wait
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i waited two weeks. and i had an emergency c section also. im fine, but im not a DR.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I agree with TMJ121009, do everything but intercourse, if you can't wait.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 30, 2010