I went to formula feeding and breast feeding together hes been on formula for about a week with no breastmilk and i have been trying to pump since i started the formula but im not geting but half of an ounce does this mean that im drying up and cant breastfeed any more?

My breasts are soft and mushy and i dont get much leakage on my breast pad.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Kids' Health

• just start nursing again as often as you can that will bring your milk back in better, try to do both equally so that you won't dry up.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Your baby will stimulate production more than a pump.. Try that and you will have better luck.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Pumping is really hard work. I rarely ever produced enough to bottle feed my little one. When he nursed, however, he was always satiated. Feed by nursing as much as you can. And if baby is still hungry, then offer some formula in the bottle. I did this with my oldest.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• How your breasts feel and how much you leak has very little to do with milk supply. You can have totally soft mushy breasts that don't leak and have plenty of milk. The more you breastfeed the more milk you will make. Put that baby to the breast as much as possible, at least 8-12 times in 24 hours. the milk will come back.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• If you want to build up your supply, put away the formula. This is what worked for me:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2010