Watching Miss America with my 4 yr old, am I sending the wrong message?

Ever since I was a child I loved watching Miss America and other pagents. I am not a priss, but I like watching them nonetheless. Anyway, as I am watching tonight's pagent with my 4 yr old daughter it struck me that I might be sending her the wrong message. Namely, that beauty wins. Any thoughts?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 9:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ugh she's 4 for crying out loud. It's just a bunch of pretty ladies in dresses doing fun stuff. I don't know WHY everything has to be such a big deal these days! I highly doubt she'll get any sort of "message" from it...but you can always ask her what she thinks.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• no it is fine just talk to her about it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:10 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• nope I watch it with my daughter too and it make her proud to be a girl. she loves everything girly girly
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i dont know. i personally dont like that they are judge on what they look like in a bathing suit. a lil shallow to me
    Anonymous

• That is pretty much what I thought but I had a pang of conscience. We talk about the dresses and the talent portions. We missed the swimsuit portion because we were fixing dinner :)
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 9:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• yes, that's a little young I think-
    Anonymous

• I never let my (now 14 year old) daughter watch it; she didn't know that pagents existed before she saw Miss Congeniality a couple of years ago. She is babysitting tonight, and sent me this text: just in case you were wondering, i AM watching the miss america pageant. and i feel no shame!!!! mario lopez is so hawt!!!!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I never let my (now 14 year old) daughter watch it;

Why?

MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 10:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Because she doesnt let anything normal happen to her kid.

Anyways, IDK if I would let a 4 year old watch, But my baby is only 9 months so I cant honestly give you persoanl opinion. LOL
    As long as you let her know that she is just fine the way she is and never needs to have people judge her for her to be beautiful then I think it would be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010