Career step...yes or no?

I'm considering enrolling in the next few weeks with Career Step to become a medical transcriptionist. I'm a SAHM and have been wanting to get a career to where I can make money but still have the luxury of being able to stay at home with my 2 year old son. I've heard mostly good things about career step, that it is in fact legit and people have had success in finding a job afterwards. But I have read a few things online about people not having any luck finding a job after they completed the program and that it was a waste of money for them. I really would like to do this program, I type an average of about 95 wpm so I think it would be a perfect job for me. I'd really hate to complete it though and then have no luck whatsoever with finding a job, that will really really suck!! So my question is...who if anyone has had good or bad luck with Career Step, I'm very interested in hearing your stories or advice so please do tell!

Zacharysmom21

Asked by Zacharysmom21 at 9:30 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in

• Why would you enroll? Just go onto MT Daily and find a job. NO need to pay anyone anything to type. That's a waste of time and money.
    Anonymous

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I went there for medical transcription. Biggest waste of money! I went because they said they would help me work from home. Well they failed to tell me that no one hires a new medical transcription to work from home that you have to work in office. Plus all the hospitals and doctors in my area have switched to computer programs that eliminate this job.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Wow thanks ladies! I'm not the OP but I'm in the course right now maybe I will just go check out MT Daily!
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 6:13 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

Next question in
career college or university?

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
Serious Question?