How can I get over my fear of math?

I am terrified of math, I always have been. I get nauseous just looking at numbers. Yet I chose a major that is math intensive. I need to conquer this fear because I have challenged myself to succeed in this area. Does anyone have any tips besides studying and practicing?

benjamink

Asked by benjamink at 9:52 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• oh good question i cant wait to see ur answers maybe i can find a way for my son not to be so "terrified with math" my methods arent working cause i dont particularly like it, and really hated until i got into college and had my professor tutor me and she explained in a way i could understand it. so that would be my advice is talk to ur prof and ask for extra help...
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• hopefully you will have a decent teacher. I hate math as well and i lucked out in 2 of my collge math classes and the teachers were excellent. I have come to find that if someone can not explain it to me properly then i struggle and hate it. So, if you are not catching it from the teacher, i advise you to get a tutor. Someone that can help relate it to you since teachers are always so rushed to get their lesson plans fulfilled. Good luck!
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Think of numbers as something else besides numbers. Like your adding or dividing m&m's or something. Just relate it to something other than numbers and that pertains to your life.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I had a math phobia too...I took a real estate course and when it came to the math I took it very slowly...I found that it was all just logic...I also realized my phobia came from a mean math teacher back in 9th grade...I was shy...he would yell out my last name when he asked a question...he was so scary the way he would yell...but realizing that's where it stemmed from made me feel better somehow, he always made me feel stupid because I would freeze up, not be able to think about the math equation and I would just mumble " I don't know" I'd be embarrased in front of the entire class...and I'm not stupid at all, I just don't like being yelled at!
    Anonymous

• Get some logic puzzles. Dell & Penny Press both have monthly puzzle magazines full of them. Start on the easy ones, work your way up to the hard. Follow the directions, and when you get stuck, read the answers, but not the final solution - read the part where they explain how they found the answer step by step. Get your brain used to thinking logically instead of thinking only of question and answer. All math works the same way - it's just a series of steps you have to do. Do them in the right order, you get the right answer.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• A couple of posters mentioned tutoring on here. Many colleges have free tutoring services. I had a big math phobia until I had to take Algebra and Statistics in college. I spent hours, especially in Algebra, and my husband also helped me to understand concepts. You could have a friend or SO who knows math to help you or find a tutor through the college. If I could do it you can too : )
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 10:46 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• can you figure out exactly when your math problems began? i always felt like, if you didn't have a solid grasp on the basics, then everything after that would be very difficult. you need to understand what it is you are doing, not just memorize the steps. my suggestion...if this at all may apply to you, would be to take the time to start over, maybe with the easiest class possible. try not to use your calculator!
    i had a calculus professor that was like a drill sergeant, i was sooo mathematically quick on my game that year!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Try to remember that math doesn't let you down. 2+2=4, every time. There's no interpretation like in English or History. It just IS. You can rely on that. I love math for this reason.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2010