How can I gently stop nursing my 9 month old to sleep?

My dd is 9 months old and I'm finding myself not wanting to to have to nurse her to sleep anymore. I am fully aware that I have created this habit since she was born. I am still definately continuing to EBF as long as she continues to want it, so that's not going to stop anytime soon. But I really want her to learn how to be able to go down for naps and at bed time without having to: nurse, fall asleep while nursing, then stay on my lap for another 5-15 minutes so she is in a deep sleep, then move her to her crib. I have always been fine with it, but now it's getting exhausting to me and she's getting older, and I want to help her have good sleeping habits. I do not want to CIO but welcome any other gentle suggestions please.

Any help/suggestions on what has worked for you ladies?

LovinLifeMomma

Asked by LovinLifeMomma at 10:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try using a sippy cup with water...

Answer by rkoloms at 10:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i just want to point out that what she has now are not "bad" sleeping habits. i always nursed mine to sleep until they were a yer old. My suggestion is to wait a few more months.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Can you wait another month or two? Nine months is a hard time to make a change because she's growing through a major growth spurt and is going to want to nurse more frequently and at nignt. It is also a time for a major developmental milestones, teethign, etc. If you wait, it will be easier for you to change your sleeping routine. However, she has good sleep habits. What changed is you not thinking that its isn't not good.

It isn't a "bad" habit. It is normal for babies to need help or want contact to get to sleep. Some babies don't and others do. Just like some of us adults need a sleep routine to sleep even if that means reading abook for five minutes or waiting for their partner to come to bed. When you look back on this time, you are going to really miss her nursing to sleep.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 5:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My son is 13 months old and nurses to sleep. I did notice that around 11 months he started to dose by himself. I am a firm believer that children will do things at THEIR our rate NOT ours. Our twins were 15 months before we took the bottle away and when we did there was NO fuss. We rocked them to sleep till they were 2 and again there was NO big fight.

Wait till a year and see were she is at. She will go to sleep on her own WHEN SHE IS READY.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:28 AM on Feb. 1, 2010