Are Epidurals Safe?

I"m 8 months pregnant and every day I get more and more scared about the birth. I think I want to go with an epidural but I'm not sure if they are safe.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I've had an epidural and a spinal, i've had no side effects from them, and they are scary, but they do help. i had to have c sections...so they helped lol...don't be scared.
    Anonymous

• Read this and you make the dission.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_epidural-pain-relief-for-labor_1489911.bc?page=2

Read up as much as you can about it so you can make the right dission for you.
    Anonymous

• Mine went well. No complications. They are like everything else, it comes with risks. Some peoples had bad experiences most have not.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• No they aren't, thats why doctors do millions of them every day. So they can put their patients in danger and harm babies....a little common sense says they are. You can pick it apart all you want, but the odds of an epi being dangerous are pretty slim. When you go through labor, and you decide you don't want the pain, you won't care.
    Anonymous

• everyone will tell you differant. i know that you can get hurt from the needle because it is going into your back. going without drugs is a great thing but if you want them get them. i dont think that it makes you less of a women and i personally dont think that it takes away from the experience either. i have gone both ways and enjoyed it both. personally i think i liked the meds better, and will be getting them again if i get there in time.
    michelle.coppes

Answer by michelle.coppes at 10:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Do lots of research and make your own decision; don't base this on the opinions of strangers.

In general, women who do their due diligence, are more like to labor without chemicals than those who do not research the risks.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I'm sorry but I did plenty of research, and I chose the epidural. They discuss the risks in birthing classes to many women all the time and they still get epidurals.
    Anonymous

• i got one. it was fine. made me feel alot better
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:41 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Do some research for yourself, after all, you are on the internet. I personally don't think they are good for mom or baby. I've had 3 babies with no epidural, and am currently pregnant with number 4. When I was pregnant with my first child my OB made me watch a video that scared the crap out of me.
    Anonymous

• I love them I have hads two kids and I haven't had any side effect from them. you should do what is best for you the only thing is that if the epidural is still in efect when it time for you to push it can take a bit longer because you can't feel from you waist down
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2010