how to ask for a diamond?

so my DH bought me this really nice ring when he proposed to me the only thing is the rock is not real. I didn't complain because the ring was expensive and he didn't have job so he saved all the money he could scrape up to get for me, he worked really hard for this ring. Anyways he is working a good job now so I figure i could a real diamond right? but how do i ask for one? I don't want to sound spoiled or unapprecative. Any suggestion?

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 10:27 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If you have a solid start on your retirement savings and college for your child(ren), then go and buy a ring.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i say don't ask for a real diamond. He gave you what he could at the time because he LOVES you and he worked hard to give you everything he could at that moment. it would break his heart to think you hated it and needed something "better". Try to see the romance in his efforts from that time, and maybe he will realize on a future anniversary that hey, he has the money and you deserve a better stone. But to ask for one, im sorry, is just selfish.

My Fiance didn't have money either and used his grandmother's (rather huge) Sapphire and a pair of his mother's earrings and put them in a band for me, and that is my engagement ring. I was a little embarrased at first that I was the only girl on the planet without a "DIAMOND!" but now i see how sweet it was for him to do this for me out of pure love and desire to be with me... he gave me what he had. And now im proud that my ring is so different, who cares that its deep blue.
    honeybee429

Answer by honeybee429 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Yeah, don't ask for one...who knows, maybe he is secretly saving to buy you one. Wouldn't it be so much nicer to someday be surprised? My FIL just bought my MIL a big 'ol diamond last Christmas to make up for the teeny tiny one he got her when they first got married and they couldn't afford anything better. Yeah, it took 26 years, but how romantic! Love isn't measured in diamonds, anyway.
    :)
    ludviksmith

Answer by ludviksmith at 10:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Read about where diamonds come from, how they are mined and how the people working the mines are treated. I won't have a real diamond. I have a nice cubic zirconia. No one but myself and my husband know it's not real, and I don't have to live with knowing what a person lived through for me to have that diamond.
    Anonymous

• How long have you been married? Maybe talk with him about getting a diamond anniversay ring for your 5th or 10th anniversary. I got my engagement ring 3 years after we had been married. He proposed to me over the phone while he was in Basic Training and we got married right after he graduated. Between his trainings, deployments, and life, he had forgot all about the engagement ring until one day someone asked me why I don't wear mine. I told them that I don't have one. So, he decided to buy me one for Christmas. Anyways, just talk to him and tell him what you told us.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• wow...I have never wanted a real diamond- I see no point in spending money on something like that and I like other stones much better anyway...my rings have all been fake and I have LOVED them
    I would not ask him for a real one. The one he gave you already was given with love and that's what matters
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• it's the sentiment behind it. when dh and i were 18 he gave me a 1/4ct diamond engagement ring that he paid for by waiting on tables as a side job. It's small, but i loved that ring at 18yo and i love it now at almost 40 years old. when we started to make pretty good money, he asked me if i wanted a bigger diamond and I said no because i love my ring, it means so much to me.
    Anonymous

• Save up and buy yourself one girl!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 10:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• What does your husband being a jeweler have to do with it? Trying to make her jealous because he probably buys you diamonds?
    Anonymous

• My wedding ring is a fifteen dollar sterling silver band from Wal-Mart, it is tarnished and mishapen and looks like a piece of crap to everyone else. The point is I am happy with it, more then happy with it, because of what the ring symbolizes and not what it looks like. My husband has been begging to replace my wedding band with a "rock" but I refuse to let him until he understands that it's not what my ring looks like its the meaning he puts behind it that makes it look so beautiful in my eyes. So I don't think you should ask for a new ring because it would probably hurt his feelings. However if it means that much to you to have a real diamond then feel free to ask him I doubt he'd decline.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2010