potty training.....

when is a good time to start potty training ? I have a 13 month old and she already follows me to the bathroom.......can I start now? I know not to et frustrated if it takes time, but will she understand what to do? Ideas welcome

rowdy24

Asked by rowdy24 at 10:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

Level 2 (-1 Credits)
  • When the child is able to tell you the words poo-poo and pee-pee (or whatever words that you will be using) and shows an interest is the best time. A 13 month following you into the bathroom is not a sign. All children follow their parents into the bathroom.

Anonymous

• You don't want to push her. If she's not ready, she's not going to learn. My son has been following us into the bathroom for 7 months -- he's 17 months. We haven't even attempted to try. We're going to buy him a potty and get him used to it and then maybe around 2 -- 2 1/2 we'll start training, if he's giving us signs that he's ready.
    Anonymous

• Mine always followed me into the bathroom. The older ones trained around 2.5. My youngest was a bit more resistant until the week before his 3rd bday. He started to be dry through his naps and for 2-3 hours when awake. I said that it was time for him to be a big boy and he was trained in 2 weeks and has rarely had an accident in the 2 yrs since then. having them be able to tell you is also something you want; but my DD would say "mommy, me go pee and then pee in her diaper" so it was a start, but not exactly what I needed.

balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2010