INTERNATIONAL ADOPTION OF A FAMILY MEMBER

My DH is from Asia (green card holder) and his cousin is pregnant with a girl. It's her 2nd so she doesn't really want it. DH and I desperately want to adopt this baby. In their country baby girls are sometimes just thrown away or killed. They do not legally have adoption, just gaurdianship and then you have to come to the US and adopt. Has anyone done this before?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Adoption

• I would check the INS laws regarding this.... typically, the child has to be legally declared an orphan to be brought into the US... that is one of the US immigration laws.... we adopted from China and we had to have paperwork stating that we were approved to bring an orphan into the country...

Good luck to you! I hope that you get your answers!
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 11:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I don't have experience with international adoption, but I have known some non-citizen residents of the U.S. who were not able to adopt here because they would have had to do it in their country of origin or become citizens. If you are a citizen, that might make a difference. You might try calling an attorney who specializes in family and adoption law. I've found them to be very helpful, and often they are willing to talk with you over the phone and answer questions at no charge.

That would be wonderful if you are able to adopt this child and keep him/her with a biological family member. Good luck!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• can she get some kind of a work visa or come here to visit around the time the baby is to arrive and give you and your husband gardianship and relinquish her rights,,, the baby would be an american citizen if born here that might make it easier good luck and God bless
    naynayskids

Answer by naynayskids at 11:17 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I would find a good international adoption attorney.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Michele L. Jackson @ www.mljadoptions.com will be able to answer your questions.
    ameliasmama1026

Answer by ameliasmama1026 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 4, 2010