MoM wanting to go to school...

Im thinking of going to school for something~
medical assistant? phlobotomist? limited xray tech? radiological technologist? nursing?? beauty school(nails and makeup)? dental assistant? dental front office?
I am 28 with a 10yr old and a 5yr old, married and normaly my dh makes good money, but he his older with some health problems that he choices to ingnor.
My heart lyies in all things girly so I figured beauty school, but i fear not being able to support myself and 2 children if needed ( if dh kicks the bucket for not taking care of his self or leaves??) with out being on welfare

So mommys im in desperate need of some direction, Do i follow my heart or logic???
WHAT DO I DO :(

kellibelle

Asked by kellibelle at 10:42 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in

• Personally, I would go to school for something you're interested in. If you don't, you may not do as well as as you could. I went to school for business administration thinking I could get a really good, high paying job, instead of going for elementary education, which I really wanted to do, but the salary isn't great. Now I'm a Legal Transcriptionist -- which I don't need a B.S. in Business Administration for -- and I'm hoping to go back to school when my children are in school, which will be awhile as I'm not even pregnant with my second! =)

I was young then and didn't realize that money isn't everything. I'm now 29 and if I do go back, it won't be until I'm at least 35!

So I would say go with your heart. If you enjoy what you're doing, you'll do an even better job at it! JMO

Good luck to you in whatever decision you make!
    Anonymous

• Why not do two things? Beauty school only lasts for 10 months (in my area) and a phlebotomist program is a 4 week-4 month course (depending on the program you choose). That way you can always have something else to fall back on if you don't make enough money as a nail or makeup technician.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:53 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• You need to pick what interest you for sure. Do your research online. I am going for x-ray tech but I did alot of research before choosing. My SO works but I always wanted to make enough to support my kids on my own because you never know what may happen. You can go see a school advisor that will guide you and give you info on what programs they have.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• to do phlebotomy you don't have to go to school (at least in mo) when you get hired somewhere they can train you there and even iv certify you. i'm starting beauty school this tuesday and in mo i stand to make about $17 an hour when i get out of school. of couse it's all up to me how much i want to make, the more i work the better i am the more money i make. people tip very well if they really like you and get repeat customers. i was going to go to lpn school but the school i was going to go was CRAPPY! and here you can really only work in nursing homes and that's not what i wanted to do with my life. i hope that you find what you want to do, you can always research how much those people make in your area and you'll know about what your starting wages will be. GL!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• you probably wont be able to support yourself with beauty school. check out your local community college! financial aid pays for all of my classes & books. go to the financial aid office, they will help you fill out fafsa. you should definatly get on that so that you dont have to depend on anybody. nursing is good, lots of money.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2010