First Wedding Cake

Okay my sister-in-law asked me if I wanted to make her wedding cake and I said sure since I LOVE to bake. I just need some tips on how to start make a wedding cake, what to do , when to do it, what is god tools to make it/ingrediants? Thanks you so much for all the help. Anything would be great!

mommyjones

Asked by mommyjones at 10:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I would attempt a few tries at least before the final cake you plan to use. I would personally use fondant. Watch videos, read about it... It will give you a much cleaner look with your cake.

http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk/acatalog/Edible-Flower-Cake-Decorations.html

is the site I use for decorations and products.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 10:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• When is the wedding?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• join the group Cake 101! there are some super helpful, pro bakers there! :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• cakecental.com is a great resource. Check out baking911.com it's invaluable as well. I have a book called Wedding Cakes You Can Make by Dede Wilson. It has everything in it that would help with making a wedding cake from beginning to end. From budgeting, serving sizes, matching the cake to wedding style, timing, space, practice, recipes, tools, tips, ideas, designs, flavor ideas. All of those things are very important to consider. Good luck!
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I made a cup-cake tower for SIL's wedding. I got this enormous 5 tiered cake stand at a party rental place for $35. It was super nice. They had them in white, black, copper, brass, chrome... It would have held over 100 servings but her party was small so I filled it with flowers to look really big. I made a small cake for the top layer for them to take home for their anniversary.

She wanted cheese cake, so I made cheese cake mini-tarts that were about the size of silver dollars. I tied ribbon over the tower and arranged flowers in between. The tarts were pipped with a nice tip then topped with fresh berries. The "decorating" was so easy bc I let the flowers and ribbons handle it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2010