What should I do if I suspect I have a mental illness?

Should I make an appt with a psychologist or LCSW? My family doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Health

• Psychologist.
    Anonymous

• your family doc first, they can prescribe things for depression and/or refer you to therapy or any other specialists that are out of his realm of treatments.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Your family doctor doesnt need to talk to you. Before the psychologist will prescribe you anything, you need to have a few sessions with them. They can then diagnose you with an illness, if any. I wouldnt trust a general family doctor with a possible mental illness when there are people that specialize in them.

Seriously, go to the psych.
    Anonymous

• Call any mental health provider and they will tell you the procedure.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• well it will depend on the illness. See your physician and he/she will refur you to someone if they think it is needed. Maybe see a councelor? Most mentl health offices, have therapists that you see and they also have a psychologist on duty with them that you also see and they work as a team to help you.
    Super09Mom

Answer by Super09Mom at 10:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• That's not true 1055, a lot of plans need referral by a practioner. I have done both. My mother went into a seious depression after the death of my aunt and was prescribed prozac on her first visit to a phsych. and I was given ADD meds by a phsyc asap and had them prescribed by family doc. Family doc is less$$ too. And with minor chemical imbalances a family doctor can help you.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I've been treated for PTSD and I went directly to a psychologist. They take TONS of notes, and they can at times even have you take a psych eval. I had appts every week until my diagnosis, then I got meds and had appts twice per month. Their purpose is "to understand how your brain works and how your thoughts work" is pretty much what I was told. Since every mental illness can be masked by certain things, it is really good to get in to a specialist who can uncover your thoughts and READ you correctly.
    Anonymous

• Get to a doctor asap before you hurt someone or yourself.
    Anonymous

• I have TriCare and I don't need a referral for anything. I can go directly to a psychologist or psychiatrist... as long as it isn't a counselor, without a referral.
    Anonymous

• wanted to add that a PSYCHIATRIST can prescribe meds a PSYCHOLOGIST cannot..... if you believe it is something more like just your generic depression you can see you physician first and he will make a referral if he believes you need it.. if you believe it is something more serious then i suggest a psychiatrist who can diagnose major mental illness and can refer you to either a counselor or a psychologist for therapy...or other programs.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2010