Babyshowers

My mom seems to think that if its not your first baby, you shouldn't do a babyshower. She complained about me having one for my second, and didn't want to do anything till my stepmother stepped in and planned it. I'm now pregnant with my third, and plan have another one. I don't want to have it for gifts or anything, couldn't care less about it. I just see it as a way to celebrate the baby coming into the world. My question to you is, simply what is your opinion? Should you only do it once. Or do you agree to have one for each?

angeleyes0306

Asked by angeleyes0306 at 11:19 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think each child should be celebrated! They all deserve a shower!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 11:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I refused all offers of showers, bridal and baby; I am uncomfortable with gift-giving events. After our daughter was born, we had a brunch to introduce our daughter to the people we love.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I love parties and I was disappointed when my mother told me that it was tacky to have a shower for your second baby. I guess I see where she's coming from, BUT I will probably throw my own party next time ... pay for it myself and what not! AND I will also specifically request no gifts in the invitation. For my first shower I had a jack and jill party with over 100 people there and it was so much fun ... it cost over 2000 bucks, but so worth it and hopefully I can have the same kind of party for my next child ....
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• The tradition is that only the first child gets the baby shower. But more and more people are having showers for each child and sometimes multiple showers.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i guess what i dont get is why only celebrate the first. they are all blessings...
    angeleyes0306

Answer by angeleyes0306 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• It used to be that you would only have a shower for your first.. but lately people have been having them for all their kids. I dont see anything wrong with it. If people dont want to come, they wont.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 11:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• i only had one for my first bc that is what my family said people do. but i dont see anything wrong with having one for each child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If you are not having a party for the intent of gifts, DON'T call it a SHOWER. The term shower is to "shower the new parents with gifts." Call it a welcome baby party or something. That way guests won't feel obligated to bring a gift. They are just there to celebrate.'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with wanting to celebrate the coming of your child whether it's your first or seventh. Every child deserves a celebration. Gifts or no gifts. I almost just want a homecoming for my second baby. I just need to make it to July!!!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 1:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• And anon 03 I think you mean Homecoming Party.
    Imogine