my 23 month old doesn't sleep through the night??

my friends tell me to ingnore her and dont give her a sippy of milk. what should i do?

jazysmom08

Asked by jazysmom08 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Has she ever slept through the night? All children are different but I'd say by 23 months they should know how to put themselves back to sleep. Or has she recently moved to her own bed?
    Anonymous

• That isn't normal. Kids should be sleeping on their own throughout the ENTIRE night between 6-9 months. Consult your pedi.
    Anonymous

• what??? 6-9 months. maybe some kids, but not all. my 5 month old has slept through the night since he was one month. my 18 month old still doesnt and never did! kids are just different. do what you feel is best. with our 18 month old we usually either rock her when she wakes up and give her a sippy cup of milk... or we just bring her in our room and she goes right back to sleep. it is just easier to bring her in our bedroom. even though we get kicked and punched sometimes.... at least we are getting sleep. i could never just ignore her and let her cry it out. but you do what you think is best for the both of you. someone once told me that they are only little once. eventually she will be in high school or away in college :( just love her and do whatever you feel is right. youre her mom.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I agree ignore it and no sippy cup during the night it is bad for her teeth. Make sure that you stick to a routine of getting her up at the same time everyday and same nap time and bed time, she will eventually get the idea and sleep the night through.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• There is no set age for sleeping through the night, kids do it at their own pace. That said, there is a difference between waking at night and being interactive at night. Why does she wake up? What does she need? My first woke once per night until he was 3. He would wake up because he kicked off his covers and couldn't get them fixed right, or teddy bear fell on the floor and couldn't be located, etc...
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 8:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If you give her a sippy of milk in the middle of the night, you need to brush her teeth after. Try water instead.

Answer by missanc at 9:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• do you brush your children's teeth every time they have a sippy with milk???? no. so if she has a sip in the middle of night... it isnt going to rot her teeth. as long as you brush them thoroughly at least twice a day.... she'll be fine! but it wouldnt hurt to just give her water like someone else said.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• sing to her back to sleep. That worked with my daughter. by that age you shouldn't be giving her any more to drink. unless she is thirsty . And you'll know when shes thirsty.or tell her a once up on a time story , that worked with my girlfriends kids. when they were that age too.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:38 PM on Jan. 31, 2010