Any suggestions for a picky eater?

My two year old is extremely picky when it comes to eating. There are days where I almost have to force feed him. I've heard people say not to fret, because he'll eat when he's hungry. But um .... yea ...I'm fretting!!!
Any advice, tips, tricks? Please!? Thanks ....

cbosch0426

Asked by cbosch0426 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well, what does your baby like? Mine loves noodles.. so i try to incorporate them as much as possible. Or if she refuses to eat something i usually say.. you better not eat that.. mommy wants it.. and i pretend to try to take it, she will usually eat it haha.

or, my kid really love olives.. so i bribe her and say after you eat 2 bites you can have 1 olive.. and work it that way.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 11:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she/he is drinking water, so she/he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she/ge will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods

• My 4 year old is picky. He tries stuff, because he has no choice. If it was up to him he would eat mac n cheese and chicken fingers every day. For lunch he eats a pepperoni sandwich. He makes it himself too, won't let us help him.

I've never had a problem getting my two year old to eat anything though. He eats anything in sight. His favorite is cooked carrots.
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• when my twins were toddlers I would always have a variety of food for them.  I would make them banana pancakes and make a happy face with blueberries.  I would steam broccoli and tell them to eat their "trees' they loved dipping in ranch dressing. I would cut apple slices and have them dip it in yogurt. Chicken strips or fish stick with dipping sauce.  (they loved dipping) I would cut sandwiches in triangles or squares sometime I would use a cookie cutter to make dinosaur shape sandwiches. 

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 11:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Funny, I think he is becoming a nuggets and hot dog monster!! :( He loves chicken nuggets with apple sauce (which isn't horrible), but I do want him to eat other things. And there are days when even he's not even interested in his normal foods. Some days are better than others, but I know that he will let himself starve (nor would I.) He has two older siblings, so I try to ensure they practice good eating habits so that he will learn from them. I love the dipping sauces idea as he does love to dip!
    Thanks everyone! :)
    cbosch0426

Answer by cbosch0426 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My oldest was the picky one. He would have lived on pasta, cream cheese and tofu if I had let him. I always made sure there was something that he would eat in our meal served with things that adults eat. I kept serving them to him. Turns out that he had some texture issues. Even today you can tell when the texture bugs him. But because I wouldn't completely give into his pasta and cheese thing he eats a huge variety of foods today. I am not above hiding veggies in soups and sauces. His brother and sister were far less picky from the beginning, but DS2 has definite dislikes on which we are working - he won't touch pasta or cheese, irony at its best.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I know that situation.My 10 years old son is picky eater,but that is not problem its my.When kids is small you must force them ,lying,make funny stuff of food.Now when he is 10,I have a big problem.He doesnt eat vegetables,from fruit just banana and orange.He have only 29kg,but my doughter 7years have 32kg,you know why:I force she when she have 1year to eat everything.
    ilijana

Answer by ilijana at 8:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My daughter was that way too ,at that age, and I was also not to worry. but I still did because she was so skinny that you could littery start to see her bones. but since her weight was what the doctors were looking she was fine.I mean somedays she would eat but not that great and there would be days that she wouldn;t eat at all. But she would drink milk juice, water. Sorry I don't mean she not be eating for a whole day. She'll have a meal or two a day. depending on how she felt. Now she doesn't stop eating. of course she;s older now. But she's still thin. but she;s also a very tall girl for her age.:)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2010