bronchitis while pregnant

I'm about4 to 5 weeks pregnant and I have bronchitis I haven't been feeling well for about 3 days today was my first day on antibiotics I've been coughing a lot could that hurt the baby? And I've been very weak and my whole body is soar I'm assuming this is bec of pregnancy and bronchitis. Is there anything I can take or do that will help my body and get a little energy? I've been taking tylenol but I don't want to take to much, thank u so much for the help

bxmommy2be

Asked by bxmommy2be at 11:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces. Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient. Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother. Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.). I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm

Answer by rkoloms at 11:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference. A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 11:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2010

• Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

• Ha the exact same thing happened to me. In fact when I went in for my very first appt. after my positive home pregnancy test they didn't even know I was there because I was pregnant because I was so sick! You'll be okay though. The baby is still so small you won't hurt anything by coughing. Tylenol is your best bet though....and lots of REST!
    Anonymous

• I had the same thing just do as the dr told you things will be fine. Dont do ANY home " remedies" that ANYONE suggests on here without talking to your dr. As much as rkoloms likes to pretend she is not a dr.
    I also had larengitius SP??? along withthe bronchitis. They should be able to give you a stronger pain pill that is safe for baby even . I had something but for the life of me cant think of what it was. Good luck hun I hope you feel better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2010