Whats a doula?

I've heard the term before and I know I know what it means but I am drawing a complete blank.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• They are a birth aid, like a labor coach but more encompassing. they help with all of you and your partners needs during labor, they can do massage, relaxation techniques, it is proven that labors with a doula are shorter have less interventions and a much lower c section rate.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I think it's like a chick that makes Placenta pills or some type of hippy thing.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I'm not wrong! I just looked it up so NA NA NA!!!
    She is also the type of person that helps with this crazy thing called "natural no pain killers type of birth"(I'm not dissing people who do this. Some people like doing the natural thing, some people are like, HAHAHAHA, Give me morphine!)
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• doulas have nothing against using pain killers in labor they just are able to help you manage the pain better so it isn't needed.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yes, what truealasknmom said. Pay no mind to the other response.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• An expensive uneeded thing is what they are.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Doulas aren't all expensive some will barter or do payment options, maybe you should do your research. I think that they are a great added support and lots of dads like having a person in the room with more experience and bedside manner, it helps the dad to be a better helper to the woman in labor. Some people don't need them but they can be invaluable in some cases.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• The hospital I gave birth in provides one, if requested, free of charge. So they aren't all expensive. I asked for one and she was great. I wanted one because I wanted to at least try for a natural birth free of pain meds. I wasn't fanatical about it, but I did want to try and I knew that even if my husband gave me advice/recommendations on things to do to help with the pain I would be like - WHAT THE HELL DO YOU KNOW ABOUT HAVING BABIES!!! Even if his recommendations were spot on. I wanted him there for moral support. And I did end up yelling at him - DON'T TOUCH ME!!! And I let the nurse and doula touch me, though. The nurse eased his hurt feelings and he just stood at my head being a good husband. :)
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2010