And then her kissed me!!!!(Cont. from last night, "guy I'm seeing has a son who is autistic")

Well me and my son went over there for dinner tonight(Frozen pizza, but hey, it got me out of cooking!!!)
We talked a little bit about his son. he said it is hard hence why he hasn't had a real relationship since his divorce because a lot of women don't understand about the "autistic" thing or lack patience.
My goodness this kid is a handful. But I am being patient and trying to continue to "educate" myself and my son on "Autism". He said his son is "high functioning" but still has some "bathroom issues". We did get a little "alone time"(like 5 whole minutes!!!lol). His son still calls me the "popcorn lady".
Anyone ever get involved with someone with "Autistic kids"(Please let me know if this is the right term or is that offensive and it's called something else?)?
OMG OMG OMG, I hope this continues to build to something more!!!
Yes, I know this sounds bad, but dad is an AWESOME KISSER and the ummm...."happy to see me" part in.

Starfire73

Asked by Starfire73 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• big smile minihis pants is pretty impressive too!!!wink mini

He's super sweet and incredibly patient with his son!!! Plus he thinks my kid is awesome too(But I already KNEW this!!! lol)

Sorry I'm just soooooooooooooooo excited and had to tell someone!!!!

Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You are acting like a teenager.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• that is awesome. Ive never met anyone with autism so i cant help there. but good luck with the relationship!
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 1:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I don't care if I am acting like a teen ager! I'm excited!! I've been divorced almost 11 years, living my life for my son only, not being one of "those moms" that has a "different flavor" every other month(Like my ex SIL), Setting a great example for my son!
    I am freaky deaky excited and if that makes me look like a teenager, Hell, so be it!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Thanks Tummymama
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Alrighty then! Wow
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• As a parent of a child with autism, I prefer that he "has autism" rather than he's "autistic" simply because the autism doesn't define who he is, it's only part of who he is. It's like a person with Down's syndrome - you describe them as "having Down's" rather than being "Down's". Just a particular peeve of mine.
    I applaud you for getting involved with a man who has a special needs son, but I encourage you to do more research. If he's in the special education class at school, and still not toileting at 8, he most likely is not high functioning. He will have lifelong issues and having spent only a little time with him, you're only seeing the tip of the iceberg. If you see a future with this man, you need to keep in mind he may always have his son living with him, forever. The group homes that I would even consider for my son have very long waiting lists. Be cautious, but enjoy. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 9:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I am so happy for you that you found a man that makes you feel so happy! I too, have a son with autism, and I prefer the term "living with autism" over "autistic". I'm not offended by "autistic", but I prefer to put the person before the disability. Like missanc, I applaud you for having someone in your life who has a child with special needs. I would like to offer some unsolicited advice~ speak directly to him, and give him time to process what is said. Try to help him make and maintain eye contact by saying " Johnny, look at me,please" when speaking with him. And above all, try to be as patient as possible. If he is anything like my son, he is very easily frustrated and upset. Good luck!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 9:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2010