Should I tell my husband he needs to watch his weight/lose weight?

My husband was in the Marine Corp when we married. He weighed on average 200lbs at the time. He left the military a year and a half ago. In that time he had slowly gained about 20lbs, until a few months ago. I would have to guess he has added about another 20lbs since October. I haven't asked him what he weighs at this time, but I'd guess between 240 - 250. for his height that is considered obeist. It's starting to become a turn off for me. What should I do or say to get him back on track? I probably should mention this us a sensitive subject for him, because his mom is always on him about how he needs to lose weight.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Just be like "hey I thought it would be fun to exercise together." It is fun to exercise together. If you do the cooking you could always slip in healthier dinners every once in a while. That he doesnt catch on.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 2:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If his mom is on him about it then no you shouldn't he is aware and of you bring it up he may be less motivated and hurt by you being on him about it. He needs to be good enough for you no matter what.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 2:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Just don't say anything you yourself should just start doing something about it and then he will eventually catch on..Like hey wait for me you'll never know until you try...GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 2:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Tell him you want the 2 of you to live long healthy lives together so you're gonna start cooking healthier! And walking after dinner. DON'T tell him you're turned off by him or that you've noticed the weight!
    Mens egos are... ridiculous. lol. I mean mens egos are very important and sensitive. That could come back to haunt you... "Do you look at other guys 'cause I'm fat??" "Do you still find me attractive??" "Is that why you didn't wanna have sex the other night??" Yikes!
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 2:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Treat your spouse the way you want him to treat you.......If you were really needing to loose weight would you want him to tell you point blank? or have him do things for you to make you change?

Suggest a walk every night after dinner....do not buy junk food/soda...can you afford a wii fit system?
    make a fruit tray and a veggie tray, keep it in the fridge for handy snacking.
    Start reading the serving sizes on boxes and say something like "hey hun would you believe this is a serving"
    be light hearted about everything and include him in your quest for a healthy life style....
    My husband gained 4 lbs last time he was laid off, went to work and he worked himself back into shape....now I can tell him that I really hated having him "on top" because back then his belly was BIG.....He knows that now and can laugh about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• How would YOU feel if he told YOU that?? I'm sure you can find a more tactful way of encouraging more healthy food choices and lifestyle....
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Tell him for every 30 lbs he loses, he gains an inch.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If you just come right out and say it like that he will just be less likely to do something about it. People don't like to be told to exercise or eat right. If you really want him to do something about it then lead by example. Start working out or walking and just casually ask if he'd like to do it with you. Start having healthier food around the house, things like that. If he sees you doing these things and sees how good you feel he's more likely to want to do it too :)
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 10:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• It would be best coming from a doctor; schedule a physical for him.

Then, start a gradual overhaul of your kitchen and cooking.
    Don’t buy junk food
    Walk, for at least 20 minutes a day, at least 3 times a week, together after dinner
    Make sure that he is drinking enough water, at least 8 8oz glasses a day.
    Eat 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, in at least 3 different colors.
    Eat 5-6 servings of whole grains a day.
    Eat at least two servings of legumes a day.
    Cut way back on meat and dairy.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• YES I would love to see your hubby tell you this and see how you feel! LOL Its one thing to want it for his health and that I get but your sorse than a man. Mine needs to drop weight to but for me its about living longer for his KIDS. He has to want to do it.
    Anonymous