So why again can't I have a cat while pregnant?!

My doctors says "Be careful if you have a cat", yet told me "Don't get one if you're looking at animals" I was covering so many questions I forgot to ask why. Myfiancee's work has him gone for 3 months at a time and he won't be home till 3 wks before baby is due, so I'm alone and I want something small, like a cat to not be so lonely....my dog is enough work with walks, He's a 90lb pit and I'm a 4'11 120 (while 7 months pregnant) girl and don't like being dragged down the street. I want a kitty!

Jeda624

Asked by Jeda624 at 3:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You should just avoid the litter and fumes from the litter cats carry what is called toxoplasmosis and that is dangerous to a fetus, so if you get a cat wear long sleeves gloves and a mask when doing litter duty, or have fiancee change it. I have a cat and had him for my first and now my second pregnancy I just stay away from his litter.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I personally would still get one. You can wear glove and a mask to change litter box or just wash your hands good. I work at a vet clinic as a tech so I cant avoid the litter boxes. If you don't mind a little more work keeping up with the litter box then why not go get one. Or you can get an inside/outside cat that goes potty outside.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 3:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Pregnant women need to be aware that toxoplasmosis (TOX-so-plaz-MO-sis) can cause problems with pregnancy, including abortion. Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. This parasite is carried by cats and is passed in their feces (stool). However, people are more likely to get toxoplasmosis from eating undercooked meat or gardening than from contact with pet cats. By following simple safety tips, pregnant women can reduce the risk of getting toxoplasmosis from cats.

If you own a cat, have a non-pregnant person change the litter box every day. If there is no one else to change the litter box, wear gloves and wash hands with soap and running water after changing the litter.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 3:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have 2 cats.. and still changed their litter box. I just washed my hands really well after doing it.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 3:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You can get tested though to see if you are immune. ...if you are then go ahead and get the cat.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• you can. just have someone else clean the litterbox. it is because cat feces can carry a disease called toxoplasmosis that is not dangerous if you are not pregnant, but is dangerous to a fetus.
    Gecko85

Answer by Gecko85 at 3:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have a cat. I just make my husband clean the litterbox, plus if your cat doesn't go outside she has less chance of carrying toxoplasmosis. Also my vet told me that as long as we change the litter box every 12 hours (twice a day) we will be fine because it takes 18-24 hours for the microbes to grow.
    Tkelly3

Answer by Tkelly3 at 4:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yep, what they said :)

I had 5 cats while I was preggo, with no problems (and still have the little buggars! LOL). Just avoid the litterbox if you can. If not, wear a mask & gloves while changing it. Also, keep the kitty inside- not only to reduce the risk of toxoplasmosis, but to increase her lifespan dramatically! Indoor cats average 3-4 times the lifespan of outdoor cats.

And no, my cats have NOT stolen my baby's breath, sat on her, slept on her, or cast any wicked voodoo spells upon her crib. Just watch your kitty for behavioral changes for a month or so after the baby is born. You may be able to find a furbaby at the shelter that is used to babies/kids already. Good luck!! :)
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 4:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• People make it seem more dangerous than it really is. As others have stated, take extra care in changing litter boxes or have someone else do it. In "What to Expect When You're Expecting" the authors didn't seem to think it was that dangerous. I have looked forward to having a good reason to have my husband clean the litter box exclusively and he found research showing how low the risk is and that we could still share the responsibility! Look into it online and in pregnancy books. You'll see. Good luck and I hope you're able to adopt a kitty that needs a home. =)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If you can't have someone else clean the littler please wear a particle mask to avoid breathing in the fumes and dust from it that can give you health problems. It really is dangerous to your baby.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 6:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2010