Is there anything else I can do for him?

I have an 18 month old and he has a really bad cold. He just threw up a bunch of mucus after I gave him a glass of warm water to break it up. We sat in the bathroom for about 30minutes breathing the steam from a hot shower. He's taking a prescrption cold med. We have the vaporizer on next to his crib. I just gave him a breathing treatment. We rubbed him with Vics. Even after all this he looks and sounds horrible. Is there anything else that you can think of to make my poor baby boy feel better? I really hate seeing him like this :(

HannahLee87

Asked by HannahLee87 at 3:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You're doing everything I can think of doing when my 2y/o gets a cold. Try even cracking a window open seems to help a little bit. Its hard when its your first child, there's ALOT of trial and error that goes on when he/she is sick. Also stay away from whole milk (all the fat builds up a lot of phlem and its not good), if you give him any milk it should be 2% or even fat-free if you can. Does he have certain allergies that he's keeping away from? I know its hard, my son has his own room right next to mine and it kills me everytime I hear him coughing, I lose sleep over it. I wish i could help you out more, but i'm kind of in the same boat you, trying to figure out what works. Good luck too you though, hang in there and it should pass especially as the cold season passes.
    ciaobellaxo24

Answer by ciaobellaxo24 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My DD is going thur the same thing this cold is horrible i have it to you may want to put a pillow under his mattress and also have him lay on the pillow in his crib it will help him with the coughing. Just keep up with what you have been doing and with in time he will get better. I hate seeing my DD like this. I hope he feels better soon :~(
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• imo the vaporizer makes it worse. everytime i turn that thing on my son only seems to stay the same or get worse, once i remove it from his room and just repeat all the other stuff everything is fine....cold symptoms usually last a week sometimes a tad longer but the vapor thing is just bad imo.....if he is having a really hard time he should go back to the doctor. GL mama
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 3:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• there is only so much you can do! he has a nasty cold and you can only treat so many symptoms at this age. you also need to make sure he rests well and isnt running around at the park or anything, he needs to take it easy. when my son is sick, I have a cool mist humidifier for his room which is like the hot steamy shower, I offer saline drops which can help dried boogers or if he is VERY stuffy, and I also offer him an elderberry syrup (very safe for children, in fact It was in the childrens section of the health store)) with echinacea and propolis. elderberry is great for hay fever, sinitus, nasty yucky colds, it helps break up mucuous. echinacea helps boost the immune system, and propolis s natures antibiotic. i give him 1 to 2 teaspoons a day and it always seems to help!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 8:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• woops lemme correct myself, I dont give him 1-2 teaspoons a day, everday....just while he is sick or if he is exposed to sickness in a public place. (safe to take as an immune boost, not just during colds)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• From a Respiratory Therapist's point of view, DO NOT REMOVE the vaporizer. IT DOES DO GOOD. A child exposed to a cold, dry environment would be much worse. It's a fact. To further break up the mucus, you can do a little CPT on him.

How to do CPT

Keep up the fluids, steaming him up, breathing treatments... Is he on an antibiotic?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Keep doing what you are doing and cuddle, cuddle, cuddle, and give him all the love you have. A cold will run its course.

Answer by older at 10:20 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If you are still breastfeeding, extra nursing will comfort him.

Elderberry syrup with help the virus run its course faster

Answer by rkoloms at 11:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• just keep doing what the doctors told you to do. and nature will take its course. The only thing extra that you can do is give him is understanding love and hugs I know how you feel when my kids were toddlers and were sick with a bad cold I also felt so bad for them.But yes if he seems to get worse do call the doctors again and tell them. gl =)
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 12:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010