how do you get baby on a sleeping schedule???

babylilybug

Asked by babylilybug at 3:34 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When they are newborn you just let them be, and once they are a little older you back down their sleep time in half hour incriments until it is a time you want and just keep at it wake up the same time every day nap time same time bed time same time it will become a habit but it is a lot of work to get there
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Study how much they sleep at one given time. My daughter when full would sleep a straight 3 hours. Then be awake for 3 hours. First 3 months are hard, then they start sleeping more at night. Make sure they never sleep hungry cuz then you just cant know how much they'll sleep.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 5:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Most babies will typically just fall into one naturally and once you notice a pattern, just set it in stone. My daughter didn't fall into one until after she started solids but my 2.5 mo. old is already falling into a pattern. Every baby is different. You can start by setting up a solid bedtime routine at a consistent time and go from there (i.e. 8 every night give a bath, a feeding, rock and bed...or a story if they're a little older). Doing bedtime consistently will help their bodies get used to a 24 hour day and the rest might fall into place naturally. From about 6 mo. to 18 mo. (give or take) most babies take two daytime naps of varying lengths. (Assuming they're sleeping a good 8-12 hours at night)(. After 18 mo. (give or take) many drop their second nap and only need one.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You don't. You observe them and learn their natural pattern and sleep needs. For example, when my DS was around 4 months old, I knew that he could only be awake for about 2 hours at a time. Any longer than that and he started getting cranky. So, 2 hours after he woke up from his last nap, I would nurse him and cuddle him until he fell asleep again. After a while, I noticed he wasn't falling asleep as easily, so I started waiting a while longer to put him down for his naps. Eventually, he got to where he was taking two regular(ish) naps a day. Now he's transitioning into one nap a day. I noticed that he was having trouble falling asleep at his morning nap time and sleeping for only a short amount of time. Then he wouldn't be tired again until about 4 in the afternoon. So, I'm keeping him up until after lunch and letting him take a good long nap. Just watch your baby's cues.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:48 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You can get your child on a schedule. My daughter was sleeping through the night by 12 weeks. I started trying to keep her up more in the daytime(if she wanted to sleep then she did) but I tried keeping her up, and then try to lay them down certain times for naps. Infants take at least 2 naps a day so try laying her down for a morning nap the same time everyday say from 10a-11a. Then after they awake try a routine like lunch and whatever else you like to do with your child, and then nap maybe from 2p-3p or something along those lines. Each child is different but you can get them adjusted to a schedule and try to keep the same bedtime each night and ritual like baths,feedings,etc.
    My daughter is 3 now and although "schedules" adjust overtime I always try to keep her on one set schedule to keep stability. Even at her age she still gets cranky and we nap time if she isn't trying to fight it. It's important to reassure patterns.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I've always let my young infants do what they need to, when they need to. After they are a few months old they typically fall into a daily routine all on their own. I've always just observed and respected whatever my children's natural bodily rhythms were. They had a natural tendency to want to go to bed at approximately the same time each night, which made their wake up time pretty consistant and made their nap times pretty consistant. Then they might have been out of wack for a bit during the times they were dropping naps (sometimes dropping naps has also meant pulling bedtime earlier too). But, they always fell back into a predictable schedule again.

I think you'll find that if you read your LOs cues and protect his / her sleep, a more predictable schedule will follow.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 10:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2010