Does anyone else do this?

Back in November, we started using candles and hurricane lamps to light the house in the evening.. we already had the lamps and I spend 14.00 / month on lamp oil. Our electric bill went from 140 bucks a month to less than 90. However, we get made fun of alot by our friends for going Amish (but we've been going semi-Amish for years since we bake all our own bread and can and freeze stuff from the garden / orchard). We also stopped buying cleaners and use white vinegar mixed with water for almost everything. Anyone else tried to economize like this and what do you do?

plylerjones

Asked by plylerjones at 6:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No but it sounds pretty homey feeling. I have considered doing a 2 nights a week no TV or computer, just play games and spend time, we could do it by lamp light that might be fun.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:34 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Ok I want to bake my own bread can you send me recipes, I love baking and it sounds so fun I might come live with you. LOL!!
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• We have. All out bulbs are the floresent ones. And I watch tv without a light on. I walk around the house in the dark. And try to only turn a light on when I have to see to do things. I hope we have a short winter so I can turn off the furnace.

Answer by louise2 at 7:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I bake bread and other things of dough,when we have old bread I just put bread in mikrow. or toster to be hot.You can also make a strudla,kiflice,kacamak with jogurt and lots of food with something you already you have in kitchen,or cost a few cents.I m economize every day,I switch on wash mashine only at night when is electric is cheeper
    ilijana

Answer by ilijana at 7:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I do use candles in the bathrooms for both light and heat; it's amazing how much heat a few tealight candles put out. We cook from scratch, including breads, pizza dough, muffins, cookies and condiments like ketchup, I make all my own shampoo, conditioner, skin creams, perfume, household cleansers and bath soap. In most cases, these things save money, but that's not always why I do it. I'm allergic to almost every personal care product and household cleanser out there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I wouldn't care if they called me Amish as they passed me going to the bank.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 8:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Well, if your friends think you're Amish for doing those things, then I've been Amish my whole life. I grew up canning stuff from the garden & orchard and still do, I bake bread from scratch, I raise chickens for eggs & food, I used to cook on a woodstove and we still heat with a wood furnace, I make my own laundry detergent, and I use vinegar & baking soda for the majority of my cleaning. I, too, prefer low lights but hubby prefers electric so we use the CFC bulbs in most rooms.

I think you're being smart.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Really, I just wouldn't have the time for all that. Back when I had more time, I loved to sit at night with the candles lit, but I am hardly ever home now, so I feel the need to pamper myself when I am.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• lol as I'm sitting here in the dark at the computer. I have I think 2 lights on in the whole house, and though its dark in here, I really feel cozy. I bake and cook homemade meals 90% of the time, and just started baking our own yeast breads (its much easier than I thought it would be!). I also use vinegar/water to clean. The only time I've used bleach recently was a toilet overflow, and I could not stand the smell of it then. I was coughing all day, that stuff is so toxic. And instead of buying scented carpet powders and stuff like that, I sprinkle baking soda on my carpets, let it sit for 5 minutes, then vacuum up and it absorbs any odors in the carpet. If I had a place to put a clothes line, I would even line dry my clothes in the spring/summer. I don't even pay electric or water here (military housing), and I still try to conserve. I enjoy doing it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I am on a path to simple living....How ever the worry I would have about using lamp oil is........ in a well sealed house you would build carbon monixide.....please make sure you have a detector in your home.
    ccmj

Answer by ccmj at 11:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2010