pot roast

when you make potrosast in the crockpot how long do you cook it for and what do you put in with it?

proudmom34

Asked by proudmom34 at 7:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• How long I cook it depends on how big a roast I have and how many veggie I put in. I just put it in early and then check it with a meat thermometer that afternoon. If it's not done, I let it keep cooking. If it's done, I turn my crockpot to "warm".

Here' what I put in mine - the roast (lol, of course). A couple of bay leave, some Worcestershire Sauce, some Santa Maria Seasoning (but this can be hard to find if you aren't in CA or order it, so...) I also put a little water in it, but not very much. I then put potatoes that I've cut into chunks (sometimes I peel them, but if I'm using red, baby, or new potatoes, then I just leave the skin on). Then I put in carrot, then onion, then celery. I layer it that way because it seems to cook better that way.

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You cook it until the meat starts to shred at one touch, the potatoes or parsnips are tender, the carrots are tender, and the onions are practically clear. Here's what my mother taught me to do...Before you put the meat and veg in the crockpot, sear ithe meat...which was coated with brown sugar, on HIGH heat in a heavy, preferably cast iron, skillet-so you can get a nice boullion. Put the meat in the crockpot, and put COLD water on the stuff left from the meat in the skillet. Rub it with a wooden spoon, so the water turns into a nice broth and pour it over the meat. Add your potatoes or parsnips, carrots, and onions and JUST COVER with liquid...water and balsamic vinegar, cooking on high in the crockpot. Check every once in a while and add a bit of hot tap water as needed. When the meat is like I described above, add a packet or two of beef/brown gravy mix, and cook until it thickens. There ya go. sweet and sour pot roast.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 8:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I do mine for a couple hours on low heat, then 6-8 on high heat. I don't put veggies in with mine. I just season, add a little water, and a little oil if it's super lean or deer rather than beef.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• a great seasoning for a roast, and makes a great gravy with the juices afterwards is liptons onion soup mix...YUM! Just pour it on top of the roast before you start cooking and walla!
    Anonymous