Panicked about using Arid Anti-Perspirant

Hi. I am 14 weeks pregnant and just found out that the aluminum in anti-perspirants can be harmful for the developing fetus. Why didn't my OB or anybody tell me this? I am so frustrated!! I have been using Arid Extra Dry which contains an extremely high percentage of aluminum (24% - some other deoderants only contain 8%) and I have alway put on a LOT (I give each arm about 4 sprays). So not only was I using an anti-perspirant with an extremely high percentage of aluminum, but I was also putting on tons. Add to that, that I am only about 110 lbs and I am extremely freaked out about the damage I could have done to my baby. Why wasn't I informed about this?!! I have been trying so hard to do everything right and now I find out about this!! If anybody knows anything about this and can calm me down a bit it would be greatly appreciated. Did I possibly harm my baby?

ml6464

Asked by ml6464 at 8:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• The dr's aren't gonna tell you about the dangers of products we use every day, they are seen as acceptable levels. I went green when I found out I was pregnant, come check out the groups on my page for a great place to start making your life less overwhelmed by dangerous chemicals. Since you've discovered the nasty toxic things in your deoderant...do you know what's in your shampoo? How bout your lotion? Most brands have some really nasty stuff in em! Chances are your baby's fine, women use deoderant every day & their babies are born fine. I chose not to expose my growing baby to these & still choose not to expose my dd who's now 9 mo! All natural for her! btw California Baby has a great product line of nat products. I was shocked to learn what I'd been smearing all over myself for years.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Aluminum is cumulative in your system so stopping now isn't going to do much good if you've been using that product for years. Don't freak out. Do your own research online if you want but really, there are "harmful" stuff in lots of everyday products. The thing is, the levels themselves aren't harmful so no doctor is going to say anything about them. Just relax and enjoy your pregnancy :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:00 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• No one should ever use a deoderant with aluminum. Get a mineral crystal.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2010