Do you like home parties or tolerate them if a friend invites you?

Hi ladies. I'm trying to get a pulse for us women out there who are consultants of the home party business. It's a legit way of making some money to contribute to our families. However, it seems as if there are two types of women out there. Those that like them and those who despise them. Which are you and why?
Please be nice...this kind of a research thing for me and I don't want this to be a vent session. (If you can help it. LOL!)

madetobeamom

Asked by madetobeamom at 8:52 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • Don't care for em. I feel like I shouldn't be obligated to buy something just to go hang out w/ someone. Yes I'm aware when I'm going that's the point of the event but if I don't want or need anything I feel wierd not purchasing so I don't go to these types of parties.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I like them. I like to see the new products, mainly, but it is also nice to get together with friends or acquaintances. I like to see the products demonstrated and discussed.

Answer by Bmat at 8:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Not my thing, I've got 5 kids so all my free time, is; 0 %. It may have been more important to me when I was younger I'm 36 and really not that big into party's, unless they are kids B-day parties. We don't drink at all anymore so I guess I'm on the nay, side.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Agreeing with the first poster, I don't like to feel pressured into buying. One time there was nothing that I wanted to buy, so I bought some small item just to be courteous, and the representative who was there actually asked in an incredulous voice "Is this all?!". I thought, yes... and you are lucky that I am buying this much, I didn't want anything. The hostess didn't know of this behavior by the representative.

Answer by Bmat at 9:00 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• do I like them, NOT REALLY! do I go most of the time. Do I get stucked into buying? yes.. even when I am broke.. but they are FUN!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• UGh I can't stand them. I don't attend them unless the person throwing it is a REALLY good friend and I know it will be fun regardless. Other than that I avoid them like the plague.

It's mostly the fake enthusiasm I've seen by the "reps" for some of these products. Basically there are good reps and bad ones...the ones that have to fake it are pathetic and annoying. The pressure to buy is something I also don't enjoy. And really, a lot of the product lines sold at these parties are useless novelty items that most households don't need and that are too expensive anyways.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have a policy that I just don't have them or go to them! I am invited to them all of the time, now I don't mind looking at a book or something, but you always feel obligated to buy something, and I find them annoying! I find the same people have them for different stuff, I jst don't care for them sorry! :(
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i only go to ones that i know i MIGHT be interested in buying something. i have gone to a Toy party (kids toys, not naughty toys lol, although i did go to one of those last year for my friend's bacherolette party), a candle party and a kitchen gadget party. if i don't see anything i like i don't buy anything. i don't care if it's "expected" of me or not. i'm not going to waste my hard earned money if i don't see anything that interests me.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I don't go - I can't stand them.
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 9:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i hate them !!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jan. 31, 2010