I don't like being a mommy!

Hey ladies. I'm a young single mom of an 8 month old baby girl who's finding it difficult to bond with my child. I don't like playing with her, I don't understand how to soothe her, and when she's upset I get resentful and angry that her father isn't the one dealing with it (he assaulted me so I sent him to jail.) I feel like the worst mother on earth, because I really do love her. Please don't beat me up in your answers, I was just wondering if anyone had been through this and if it gets better. I think I might have postpartum because I am prone to depression. Thank you, and I hope you're all having a great day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't beat yourself up over it. Go to your doctor and get checked and meds for postpartum!!! I'm sure you love her to pieces it sounds like you have a LOT of stress which makes you more prone as well. Do you have anyone around to help you? Please go get some help for your sake and your daughters.
    JoMcD

Answer by JoMcD at 9:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Sounds like you may be depressed to me, time to talk to your dr about what's been going on. Also sounds like you've got a lot of hurt, anger & resentment towards her father, are you sure none of these emotions are getting put on her? When you look @ her does it make you think of him & get mad all over again? Remind yourself its not her fault her father was a worthless piece of shit who decided to put his hands on you.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Well first of all, You need to get help before you do something stupid and possibly harm your baby! She didnt ask to come into this world, and didnt ask for you to be her mother! I dont understand how an 8 mth old doesn't bond with their mother, they are most needy then! Being a mother is self-less, you have to put your child first regardless of your issues with your baby daddy or anything else in your life, are you even willing to do that? You need to go talk to a councilor and or a doctor asap!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I think you're probably postpartum. Being a new mom can be stressful. Having a new baby can be stressful. Being in an abusive relationship is stressful (even if you have him arrested). When you combine it all together, then of course you're going to be overwhelmed!

Talk to your Dr or to your baby's Dr.

But believe me - it DOES get easier - I promise!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I got hit with post partum...it's terrible and it interferes with your bonding with your little one. Go see a doctor and see what they suggest to help you out. It's TOTALLY NORMAL and you are NOT a bad mom for feeling this way, as long as you don't take your frustrations out on your baby. It really DOES get easier. I have 18 month old twins and when they were babies I thought "Holy crap what have I done??". Now they are the light of my life and my reason for living.

Good luck hun...hang in there. Lots of mommies on here have been through it and are here to help if we can.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i dont know how u could not like being a mom, im sure shes tried bonding w/ you maybe u just havent tried bak all mothers n their children have a special bond i dont understand how ne1 could ever say they dont like being a mommy sounds like ur depressed..
    kristy_shawn03

Answer by kristy_shawn03 at 3:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2010