Do you know?

Do you actually know the history of your religion? Or the history of any other religion? What are three things that you get irritated at, when people mess up the history of that religion. Examples: the origin of the devil, history founding our country America, or translation errors that have altered history negatively. (these are three things that I've seen a lot that people haven't taken the time to reflect on, in depth, and to actually take the time to research fully).

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 9:25 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Back to the op -

Honestly the only thing that bothers me is when people assume that because I am Pagan, that I am Wiccan or simply haven't been properly educated on Christianity.

I also get very upset when people assume that because I am Pagan I worship the devil. Which as never been true through all the history of the world, being that the belief in the Devil was an Israelite invention.

Then there is the thinking that the "Burning Times" weren't that big a deal. All told some experts actually put the death toll at close to 9 million over a period of 300 years. Which in my opinion is worse that the Holocaust - Yes, I said it!

And lastly, the idea that Christianity is the "founding" religion to many of the worlds Countries. You can't imagine how angering it is to me that people assume all Irishmen are Catholic. I even had someone tell me that all "good" Irish women go to church on Sundays... Which I promptly laughed at.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i know the history of my own religion as well as most other religions....people getting the history of a religion wrong in general irritates me lol.

necro1134

Answer by necro1134 at 9:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• or when people get mad that they don't understand what freedom of religion means... GRRR that really gets me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I know the history of my religion (Catholicism) well and the history of Christianity pretty well. I'm familar with the historical canonization process of the bible. I'm less familar with the history of non-Christian religions. Some things that irritate me about histocial discussions (religion or any other) is when people don't recognize that there are different ways to view and understand history and that we all have biases when we look at topics. Often we bring our modern viewpoint into history and judge history based on modern knowledge/culture. We sometimes weave historical events into our modern day story/viewpoint instead of understanding it from the viewpoint of those who were there at the time (and didn't know what the outcome of their actions would be). And often we try divine historical events into good/bad or right/wrong - and history is much more nuanced than that.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I love to research the history of religions and mythology, but what irritates me are those who ignore it and choose to remain ignorant about it.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I enjoy researching other religions and mytholigies to learn their origins and histories. Sadly, ignorance is rampant among others.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yes, I know the history of Christianity. I know the love of God and the history of some ignorant people who have called themselves 'christian' doing things in the name of their 'god'.

I know the TRUE meaning of God's love - both unconditional and undying!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i know the history of my parents denomination pretty well & im pretty knowledgeable on America's religious history. and i know most of the basics of Christian history, but nothing too specific. im also know about Shinto's history, but ive still got a lot to learn.

i get REALLY annoyed when ppl start saying America was founded on Christian ideals and thats why its ok for Christianity to dictate our laws. also i cant stand when ppl try to make our founding fathers out to be crazy demon worshipers just b/c they were Masons....its just bad history!!! and as a history buff bad history angers me like nothing else!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I get frustrated about Christians not understanding the religion of Christ. He was Jewish. A lot of misunderstandings about Judaism out there.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Yes, okmanders! Masons are not devil worshipers.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2010