How long do you allow your baby to do tummy time? How about time in the jumper? Can you tell me what a typical play day looks like for your baby around6/7 months.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Tummy time - as long as they want and are comfortable. Around this age you can start putting toys out and encouraging them to "crawl" to them - balls are especially fun because they only have to push them a little, we also had a blow up penguin that makes noise when you push it. I read that you should limit time in a jumper to 30 mins/twice a day, so that's pretty much what we followed. My 2nd son would have stayed in one all day if I had let him - my youngest son didn't like it at all. We also took lots of walks in his stroller with me pointing out things to him and talking about what we were seeing. My youngest started crawling at 7 months so after that he could get to what he wanted and started to entertain himself more rather than me having to do it for him. We also read a lot of books together at this age.

Answer by missanc at 9:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Limit the time in the jumpers and exerericers because of potential problems with the hips. But you can use them, just about 10 minutes at a time. Tummy time, can be super encouraged almost all day. Get down on the floor with the baby. Sometimes they just want you near them and they learn to play on their own this way.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 10:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My son Gabriel is 6 months old and our days depend on how much or little he sleeps. Some days he won't take but maybe 1 or 2 30 min naps in a whole day and some days he takes 2 or 3 2 hour naps. His favorite thing in the world to do is stand up so he plays a lot in his jumper. He's super mobile so he starts on his tummy but he doesn't stay that way for long. He rolls all over the place and he gets up on his hands and knees trying to crawl. its really cold here now so we don't go outside but as soon as it warms up I'm ready to get him outside for walks and the park. I really don't think there's a set time you can or can't do an activity it really depends on your baby and what he or she likes.
    jazzysmommy1004

Answer by jazzysmommy1004 at 10:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2010