If you are divorced do you help your kids buy their dad presents for birthdays and holidays?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• I think you should because the kids didn't divorce their parent. The gift is from them and not you. My son made sure his daughter got his ex-wife a Christmas gift, but she refused to take my granddaughter shopping for him. He was ok with it, but my granddaughter was upset. She wanted to get her dad a present. Remember, this isn't about you or your ex-spouse, it's about the child.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:48 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I don't, we're barely making it since he won't pay his child support. If he would pay child support, I'd be much more likely to do it. But my kids don't ask to buy him a present either. If they did, then I would make sure that somehow I would help them out with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• No

Answer by admckenzie at 10:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• my mom didnt like my dad, i only got his parents something.
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 11:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My Stepmother made sure we got something for my Mom, not sure what my Dad felt about that. It was the right thing to do for us. If it were me I'd make sure the kids made a card or made something just to acknowledge the holiday. Like a PP said, the kids didn't divorce the parent - they shouldn't be in the middle of it. But, I can understand not spending money for this.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 11:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I think that you should.. it teaches respect, just because you arent married doesnt mean that you cant.. help the kids get the other parent something...

Its a nice thing
    deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 1:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My parent's even though they despised each other always made sure that we had gifts for the other parent. I would like to think that my Husband and I would be the same way if we ever divorced.
    I can understand why anon 955 doesn't.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010