Seems Excessively Thirsty

My son for the past week or so seems very thirsty all the time. He will drink an entire cup of milk at a meal time and want more. He gets upset if I don't give him more. I offer him water through out the day but when I give him his milk he seems to guzzle it gone. Is this just a growth spurt maybe b/c he is also eating a TON more food in one setting. He is fixing to be 13 months old.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh I was about to say that sometimes kids will mistake theirhunger cues for being thirsty but since he's eating more also and he's only thirteen months it's probably just a growth spurt. God ahead and as long as it's not constipating him give him as much milk as you can afford to give him if you want. I usually stop at about two or three cups a day and give water after that but that's because I'm not made of money and milk gets expensive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• My son is the same way when it comes to liquids. Although it doesn't necessary have to be milk, it could be juice too. I suppose it's more convenient than sitting down and eating solids, he can tote his cup anywhere he wants too :D. My son is 2, but he's been favoring liquids since a year old as well. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as he IS eating food as well and you're not over-doing it with the fatty/sugary drinks. a couple cups of milk a day is fine, but as long you're supplementing the remaining drinks with water you should be fine.
    ciaobellaxo24

Answer by ciaobellaxo24 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I don't want to scare u but to be on the safe side, does he do this even after eating? Does he wake up in the middle of the night and really want something to drink? Although HIGHLY unlikely, that's a sign of diabetes. I know the other moms gave you some great options and ideas, but just wanted to let u know to make sure, and see if there are other queues.
    Ifiwereabook

Answer by Ifiwereabook at 7:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2010