Tattoo-- Do you have one? ANY advice?

I don't have any at all, but it's an idea that I've toyed with for more than 12 years now. I was waiting to see if I could find something that I absolutely wouldn't regret, and I think I've found it.

I want to get my daughter's newborn footprints tattood on the top of my left foot. I don't want the prints to be life-sized-- rather, I want them shrunk down, but maintaining the detail of her footprint.

I know that foot tats are more painful than other areas on the body, and I think I can handle that. The thing I'm most worried about is the ink bleeding that can occur on the foot, and the higher risk of infection...

Any advice, ladies?

christaberk

Asked by christaberk at 10:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have 2 tattoo's. one on my shoulder and one that is high up on my ankle. the best advice I can give you is to go into a shop that is recommended and that you trust and discuss with them your idea. They will be able to give you an idea as to how small they can make them while maintaining the detail, the chances of that particular tattoo looking the way you have it pictured as well as your personal risk. I will say that a friend of mine had a very small butterfly on her foot and she said it hurt like a mo-fo. It Does however look very nice and well detailed with good color. It's about the size of a oreo. She had hers done in the summer because she couldn't or didn't want to (I'm not clear which) put a sock on it for the first 4-5 days.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:33 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I waited until I was 36 to get a tattoo. I got it on my ankle. 10 years later I absolutely hate it and am embarrassed by it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I DONT RECOMMEND ANY THAT PEOPLE WILL SEE WHEN YOU GET OLDER ...BECAUSE THEY WILL FADE OR (WHERE)YOUR SKIN WILL SHRIVEL UP.....I GOT MINE ON MY BACK WHERE WHEN I GET OLD IT WILL BE COVERED !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• well i know im gonna be checking back on this post to see what people say...i want a tattoo on my foot..well around my ankle down to my foot. i want the hawaiian islands on my ankle with plumeria flowers goin around the islands,on top of my foot to my big toe. and in the middle 2 flowers i want my daughters first names (akalina & kehaunani)....and yes EVERYONE says its gonna hurt like hell....but i think that tattoo would be beautiful.
    momOF2Girls0710

Answer by momOF2Girls0710 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• So, I have a few tattoo's over various parts of my body and one just happens to be very low on my ankle going onto my foot. Here is what the tattoo artist said to me about this particular tattoo. He said that he didn't like doing tattoos on the foot because you are moving your foot all the time and the chances of your tattoo scabbing over and breaking open and scabbing over and breaking open repeatedly would increase and thus messing up the tattoo. He also said that the foot is one of those areas that just plain hurts. (out of all the tats that I have yes, it is the one that almost brought me to tears.) Luckily I didn't have any problems with mine and it healed really nice...but you do need to do your research when getting any tattoo. Make sure you go to a reputable shop!!

SecretSuzy

Answer by SecretSuzy at 10:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have 4 tats and love each of them. Major importance is research your shop ahead of time - make sure they are very clean and very talented - this will be permanent on you and you want it to be the best ever. Good artists will give you references if you ask for them - they will also have pics of their previous work to show you. I had a hep scare with the first tat I got (the artist worked out of his house...I was 21 what can I say lol) and it wasn't very nice to worry about that. Now I go with a shop, and they are so good they have a waiting list for appointments!

It hurts but the pain is worth it - GL.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have my sons foot prints on the back of my leg. I can go ahead and tell you that if you get them shrunken down you wont be able to keep the detail. Go to various shops I had to go through 4 before I found someone that had done a great job on footprints. Ask to see their art books. I wouldn't go to one who has never done it before.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 10:53 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have been thinking about the same thing since I was 18 and now I'm 37... I have had numerous chances to get one, went with friends, Hubby has a sleeve on each arm and some on his legs... I just haven't gotten the nerve. Even our 13 yr old son wants some and has even drawn out the ones he wants.. Which he won't until he's 18 and can pay for it himself. I guess I have finally settled with the fact that I'm not meant to have one. So I will be different and not have any.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have one that I love and don't regret. I got it on my back so I don't have to look at it when I get old!! heheheheh
    Now, I don't recommend getting a tattoo on your foot for your first one. The pain is EXCRUCIATING. I would recommend some place with more fat to cushion the pain at first.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:55 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I have ten tattoos. All of them are currently in places that I can cover up with a pants suit. I have one on my left calf, two on my right calf, three from the top of my neck to between my shoulders, one on my lower back, one on my left butt cheek, one on the left side of my chest, and one on the front of my hoohoo.

As for your thought about getting it on your foot, that's really up to you. I think it would be adorable there. The idea of a child's footprints really isn't all that original, but it's still a sweet(as in "Aaaaw" not "SWEEEEET!!!!") tattoo.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 10:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2010