To all consultants in the direct sales biz and to those who can't stand them.

I'm doing another question on here about the two types of women who like or dislike home parties. My question is this. As a consultant...do you feel it's a legitimate way of earning a living (part time or full time)? As a prospective customer (willing or not) do you see the consultant as a bother or just a woman trying to earn an income?

Be nice please!

madetobeamom

Asked by madetobeamom at 10:48 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (-5 Credits)
  • Yes I feel it is a legitimate way to earn a living, in my opinion if someone says no than they either had no idea how to be a consultant and run an at home business or they had a bad consultant who did not know how to get that person their maximum benefits and was a poor consultant. Don't get me wrong I have had crappy hostesses and they are now oN my never do a show there again list!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 11:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• It is a legitimate way to earn an income. However, I have felt that the MLM scheme can be a trap for many women. I am a sales manager (outside the home) and the more successful reps I have under me, the more I can earn (commission based). However, when the only way to make real money becomes recruiting people to be under you, it can become a real nightmare. I was recently approached to "join in" with Ignite. The product they sell is energy, but consultants make so very little money off of selling power... the only real money comes when you get "x" amount of people in your downline. As a sales professional, I prefer to have a product or service that will stand on it's own and help me earn an income as oppsoed to "suckering" others into my downline. If every one of my reps quit right now... I could still make a very decent living with the product that I sell. Can you say the same for AVON, MARK KAY, TUPPERWARE, Etc...
    ThatTXMom

Answer by ThatTXMom at 12:16 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I guess it's legitimate. I have no use for them, though.
    Anonymous

• I do believe it is a legit way to earn an income. To answer ThatTXMom- there are several MLM companies that don't have products that could be retailed for a very large profit but that is not all companies. I don't know what type of business you are in but maybe you have a higher ticket item. I do both- I am a sales manager for a mortgage company and also run my own home business. I definitely make more from each sale on the mortgage side and yes one person leaving would not break the bank but it is no different on the MLM side. I make less per item sold because the cost of the item is less and if one person left it would not change things much for me either. Being in the commission world it just means I need to sell more products and have a larger team because the item is less expensive. I can make decent money by myself but why would l want to. Just as in the mortgage business why do it all myself.
    Anonymous

• Some consultants are very annoying. When someone says they are not interested, don't have the money or it is not for me; it needs to be left at that. They look very desperate when they keep pushing- who wants to do business with a person like that. Some will, some won't, so what.
    Anonymous

• I ran into a consultant at a vendor fair I did two weeks ago, I must say she has NO BUSINESS doing direct sales! First instead of introducing herself her first question was, Do you have problems booking shows, I told her no because I do not and she then told me she does, was not hard to figure out why she was a b*tch. She then shoved her catalog at me while I was setting up my booth which pissed me off because I was business and not interested in her stuff and after that I would never buy anything from her. People like that give the consultants who have fun at their shows and are not pushy a bad name! Too bad you cannot do an interview first before doing direct sales because she would not have passed!
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 2:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• @ ThatTXMom I am a Mary Kay Sales Director, and I can say yes. If I never recruited a soul in Mary Kay I will continue to make a good income selling the #1 best selling brand skincare on the market.. But I decided to build a team to help other women enjoy the opportunity of having a home based business also.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 7:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• i used to like selling but now since i live in a small town and i sold to everyone im out of people... so i depend on my website which doesnt get much even though its on google...
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 11:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2010