I want a natural birth, but I plan on tubul liagation afterwards..will I have to get epideral?

I'm not sure how they do the procedure. Am I put to sleep, or is a spinal or epi used? Also, do they do it immediately afterwards or wait a few hours? I'm 40wks and 1 day now and I just decided that i can get it done (insurance wasn't covering it) So I haven't been able to ask the doc these questions. I have appt wed but you never know when baby will come:) I already set things up over the phone but haven't been able to get this info..can you help give some insight please? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My mom had her tubes tied the day after giving birth to my brother. She had no epi or anything with him. They gave her a day to recover from the birth then did her tubal. Like the PP said, state by state it could be different. Also, your insurance and the docs policies might be factors.

No matter what, you can insist on not having medication during your birth. Your birth, your body.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• In my state there is a 3 month waiting period after receiving information for you to change your mind. No you don't need an epi. but they won't do it until 6 weeks after a natural birth. If you had a c they would do it at the same time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Well, I would absolutely think there would have to be some pain medication involved. I mean, I know that you will be in so much pain already that maybe you just won't care about more?? For just a plain tubal, I am sure they do not put you to sleep. They try not to do that anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jan. 31, 2010

• If this is something you just decided to do chances are your doctor wont do it. Depending on your state there is a waiting period and depending on your insurance. I had to sign the paperwork at least 30 days prior to delivery so I signed mine the end of November and he was born the 8th of Jan.. Every apt my dr asked are you sure, during labor she asked the same thing, after delivery she asked, before going to the OR she asked again. Before the actual procedure she asked me 5 times.. They want to make sure LOL...

You do not have to have a c-section to get your tubes tied. I had a vaginal birth and several hours after he was born they gave me the epi and wheeled me to the OR. I did not want to be put to sleep, so I went the epi route, they can also do a spinal block which is similar to an epi..

You will have to talk to your Dr and find out their policy.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Wait...I had an epi with my son, and had my tubes tied the next day. They don't have to wait 6 weeks. You DO have to sign a form ahead of time in order to get the tubal, which I did when I was 26 weeks, I think.
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• a tubal ligation is a surgical procedure - at least here it is. you're put to sleep for it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• depends on the hospital. you can have it done right after birth, wait a few hours, or anytime before you leave the hospital. and it all depends on what the dr wants to do. most around here have you deliver in the OR and do it right afterwards, and most get put to sleep.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 7:03 PM on Jan. 31, 2010