My two year old has been having these episodes where he claims there are snakes and worms in his bed, and on my floor in my room.. so I'm assuming he's dreaming. But he'llfreak out and scream out of no where. How can I help him get over this?

He hasn't seen any "scarey movies" or anything that involves snakes or worms!

I've told him repeatedly that there aren't any, but it doesn't change it.
Could he just be doing this for attention?

heidinicole23

Asked by heidinicole23 at 11:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Does he seem to wake up from sleeping and do it? If so, it could be Night Terrors. The child seems awake, but they are really still sleeping and acting out the current dream. http://www.nightterrors.org

My son has them sometimes. If your child is doing this while awake, just on a daily basis, then talk to his doctor soon as possible, and ask for psych evaluation. It doesn't mean you kid is mental, it's just to find out what is causing him stress. If something else comes out of it, at least you can deal with early enough to help him feel better in the long run.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Something you might try: Get him an awesome stuffed animal (dinosaur, lion, etc) and tell him that none of that stuff will hurt him as long as he has that animal to protect him. Hey, it worked for my son with his fear of monsters. He has a dinosaur and his teddy that scare off ANYTHING! Just a thought, good luck.
    Anonymous