Emergency Advice: HPV

I am currently 16 weeks pregnant and I found out I have HPV (the severe strands). I have an appointment on February 9 to get a colposcopy. I heard that if results show that I need a biopsy, this can do damage to our baby. Has anyone gone through this?

OrganicMomnDad

Asked by OrganicMomnDad at 12:20 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Any procedures and options the doctor gives you he will tell you the positives and negatives. They can not do anything without your consent.
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 12:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• as far as I know the colcoscopy is the biopsy. I have HPV as well, and when they did the colcoscopy it was just a simple little snip of the tissue. I would talk to the doctor about the pros and cons, I could be wrong on what I think the colcoscopy iis but I could have sworn it was the same thing as a biopsy.
    Anonymous

• Anything to remove cells after the biopsy can cause miscarriage or pre-term labor, since you're removing part of the cervix. Definitely discuss things with your doctor after the colposcopy.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• A Colposcopy is a way to look at your cervix and the abnormal cells on it. Your doctor uses a solution (acid) that aids in the examination of the white abnormal cells, and then he/she can take a biopsy of the most abnormal cells to test them.
    I wouldn't do this while pregnant. Honestly, I am not an advocate of C Sections, but i would rather deliver via Csection and be tested after the baby delivers. Cervical cancer is (fortunately) slow moving. Im NOT A DOCTOR, and you should absolutely bring up your concerns, but i would really really really consider all options in this case.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 2:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I was diagnosed w/ hpv and had level three abnormal cells ( almost cancer). Then I found out I was pregnant a week before my scheduled surgery. I decided to skip the surgery and after I had her the levels dropped. to just abnormal cells. The doctor said that delivery can actually help shed the bad cells and clear the cervix of them. I guess because of all the stretching and changes your cervix goes through. After I had my second daughter I was cleared. I mean, I still have the virus in my body but right now my cervix is not being affected. All thanks to my daughters!
    DaGoodLife

Answer by DaGoodLife at 4:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• It's nothing to worry about at this point. I also have HPV, and had the coloscopy, they just scrap a bit off your cervix to be tested to make sure no further action needs to be taken. It will not harm baby at all. Have you already done the vinegar thing? Mine came back that I only had a mild case(I acually found out 4 years ago I had it when pregnant with my last and was suppose to get checked out after that pregnancy and the docs and I forgot all about it afterwards, and even over the years when I've remembered and freaked out, I couldn't afford to go to the doctors) my docs just said to be SURE to have it checked again after the baby is born and they'll take care of it then. Just ask your doctor to explain it all to you and the pros and cons!!!!!!!!!!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 12:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2010