What are things that you DO NOT like about running a daycare from your home?

I am thinking of starting a daycare from my home. I want to make sure that I am aware of all the pros and cons before I jump in. I am also researching other aspects of the idea, but I wanted to make sure that I see the negative aspects of running daycare from home.

aly38914290

Asked by aly38914290 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• My biggest was parents taking advantage of me and not picking their kids up when they are supposed to.. If you have children yourself, it can be hard to arrange apt and such around daycare hours. Also not being able to attend school functions with my school age children because of the "daycare"..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:25 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• As someone that uses a daycare, I would require advance notice if you are calling in sick. Which is why I use a center, if someone's out, I'm not left without child care.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• parents WILL take advantage...they will want you to watch the kids a little longer at times for one reason or another- they have this idea that you will watch their kids at any hour!
    MAKE SURE you come up with some sort of contract that requires them to give you notice if they find other care for the kids-or they will just call one morning and tell you thanks-but we don't need you anymore and that will be that and good luck getting payment from them whent they do it (I had more than one parent pull this)
    I ahd one write me a bad check for the last week I had the kids- it was a huge thing with her bank and mine to get the money which never happened she in turn decided to call ME and tell me I was a Bitch for trying to get it straightened out...nice
    The kids are usually not so much the problem- it is the parents, so just be aware they will take advantage if they think they can
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• OH- and if you have your own kids- they may hate that other kids come and play with thier toys...my kids were a bit older when I did it- but they got REALLY annoyed when the kids would play with certain things- or break their stuff
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2010