Why can't people realize SAHM's and working moms work the same amount?

At least IMHO they do. I speak from experience since I have done both. Being a SAHM you have more chores to do at home especially if you have little ones home all day because they are making messes as you are cleaning them so the cleaning never really ends. Then you have school activities, cooking dinner in the evenings, kids bedtime routines and cleaning up after the kids go to bed. Working moms work all day, then come home and cook dinner and deal with the kids and cleaning up. They may not have as many chores because there's no one home all day to make messes, but they still have the same job as a SAHM in the evenings. Right now I'm a SAHM. I can't stand the debates on here about WHO does more work. Both do! Unless they're lazy. It's just a different kind of work. Agree or disagree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Just for Fun

• People usually do not equate taking care of a home, childcare, running errands, paying bills, etc. to be "real" work, because there's no paycheck coming in for it. But I disagree. I am a WAHM, and though I do work part-time, the rest of the time is spent being a SAHM. That is a full time job in itself, and if I recall correctly, a few years ago there was some hullabaloo about SAHMs should be making $100,000 per year fro what they do. I will try to find the link.

NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 12:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• its never going to end.

SAHM's will always scorn the working moms, and the working moms will always scorn the SAHMs. at least the ones that seem to get all personal and pissy about it will. there are some that don't care what other people do.

I personally don't give a rats ass....
    Anonymous

• I disagree, I am a SAHM and I believe I do have less work to do. I couldn't be a working mom and do all that I do at home and I only have a 20 month old son. I hate the debate on how SAHM's can't say they need a break, cuz as humans, WE ALL NEED A BREAK! But I think working moms have a lot more to do, especially single working moms.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 12:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I'm sure they work the same amount. Cleaning up after kids all day isn't my idea of productivity however ;)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I agree, I have done both and then some and BOTH are hard jobs.
    With my first I finished my 12th grade year and worked 2 jobs to have my own place because I got kicked out.
    Now I am a SAHM married and it is just as rough.
    I get so sick of the bash posts it is so childish.
    Anonymous

• Ditto to ANON 12:24pm
    WatermelonNerd

Answer by WatermelonNerd at 12:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Because people choose to feel that they are better than others. It could be a self esteem issue because they are unhappy with their situation or it could just be someone just being an @$$hole. who knows. There could be a million different reasons why. Just keep in mind it isn't everyone that thinks that way. I work part-time and I feel I do just as much work as a full time working or SAHM. After all we all work the same hours. You know 24-7-360. I just happen to get paid for 25 of mine a week.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• prettyrayray

So you are only productive if you go to work? That is such a crock.
    Anonymous

• Ok, I'm a SAHM and I think we work the same amount, but it's just a different kind of work. There are pros and cons to both...
    Anonymous

• I don't see the things I do as a MOM as a job. its something I chose to do - if I didn't want this JOB then I wouldn't have had kids.

staying home being the MOM is way easier in my opinion than having to go to work, come home, clean the house, take care of the kids - get your mommy moments in, then go to bed and do it all again while trying to get everything done and still be a mom. I get to hang with the kids, sure I do the cleaning and whatever. but I'm home and can do what I please.

(and yes I just ducked from all the things you all threw at me)

my husband works a hell of a lot harder than I do too. I run his office from home, and I also have my own successful business.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:30 PM on Jan. 31, 2010