Can I mix formula with cows milk?

Im wanting to ween my daughter off of formula. But mixing milk with formula sounds weird...

oldsoulmom

Asked by oldsoulmom at 12:31 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah, just mix the formula part first, then mix in the cows milk, and everyday get less and less formula. my boys just went straight to cows milk...
    Anonymous

• it is common for people who are weaning to cows milk to do a 50/50 then more milk then formula. I helps them adjust to the taste and for their belly to get used to it. Good luck
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 12:35 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Have you introduced water? Unless your child is a baby cow, milk is unnecessary. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 12:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I hope your child is close to a year because really cow's milk is bad for the digestive system before that age and should not be introduced.
    Anonymous

• If your child is a year you can try switching straight to milk, some don't mind the change. But for others it works to split the already mixed formula with milk to introduce the new flavor and then gradually reduce the amount of formula

Answer by missanc at 3:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• When my kids turned 1 I mixed 1 oz of milk into their bottle or sippy of formula - not the powder into the milk. Every couple of days I reduced the amount of formula and upped the amount of milk. But the formula was premixed with water, like it had been for the previous 6-9 months (I breastfed then switched to formula & bottles after 3-6 months).
    Anonymous