What kind of Dog should I get with my 16 month old?

My boyfriend finallyyyy gave in as to letting me get a small dog like a yorkie or min pin or toy poodle ect. && was wondering whats a good breed to get being around my 16 month old? She LOVES doggies and is so gentle with them && i have had dogs my whole life until i was pregnant? Im home all the time so its the perfect time to rescue a dog. Thanx!

JessiEvo

Asked by JessiEvo at 12:37 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Pets

• Small breeds are alot of times snappy so be careful. I would go talk to a kennel owner or get a book on dog breeds. We have a very sweet doxy that we aquired when she was about 5 or 6 and she has been a great dog for our kids but I think she in an exception because most of them that I have been around are very snappy and ours is not at all. With any dog you need to establish all the humans including your daughter as pack leaders and the dog as the follower. I wish you luck.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 12:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Stay away from terriers. They are very high strung and we had one turn on my sister when we were younger, snapped and bit her and all she was doing was going to get her shoe under the table. I think any dog can turn (even the "gentle" ones) but those seem to be more hyper in my opinion. Chows and huskies are other breeds you want to avoid, my dad got a beautiful husky named blue and he went after my son, needless to say as sad as it was, he had to let him go because he broke the skin. I'm guessing you want a smaller dog from your post anyway, I would take a mutt. There are tons of mixed breeds at the shelters and they are gentle and seem to get passed over more because they aren't a "pure bred" dog. We have a blue heeler collie mix. This dog is soooo good with our kids. He is so playful, and has lots of energy to run the kids around the house here and wear them out too LOLLLL good luck! :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I don't really know- I know how kids can be so mean to animals so...chasing them/ pulling tails...trying to ride bigger ones...
    we didn't get a dog until my little one was 3 or 4 and we had a rule about never being on the floor with him to play (he is a bigger dog)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Look on petfinder for a dog. Pugs, Beagles and Boston Terriers are supposed to be good with kids and they are small. Bigger dogs that are supposed to be good are Boxers, Lab, Pit Bulls. You could google good dogs for kids and find various lists, then research the breed to make sure it will be right for your family.

Anonymous

• You don't want a Boston. They can't burp so all the gas comes out the back. They aren't the best with kids.

A Beagle or Corgi would be best for a toddler. They have minimal grooming needs. They are docile and have few health problems. If you can find a mix at the shelter or a rescue of wither or both of these breeds you will be very happy.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:07 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• I would google the dogs you are interested in and see if they would fit your family. Do you want a calm dog or one that has lots of energy? Plus, which one works best with a toddler in the house. We have had big dogs. They seem to handle the rough little ones in our house. I don't think a little one could survive here, LOL! Good luck on your hunting.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• I think ur best choice would be to go to a pet kennel and adopt one that just stands out to u! You will be giving one of those dogs a better home and u can chose from different breeds! Good luck.
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 6:24 PM on Feb. 21, 2010