I found a marijuana pipe in my son's room. If you have found drugs too, what have you done to help him/her? Have you sent them to live with the other parent? How did that help??

I had seen some red flags..
*He would get worried when i'd go in his room
*He would remove the battery from his cellphone when i could take it away for misbahavior.
*He asked what would happen mom if i did try it?
*He would listen to music (lyrics) that encouraged it
*He sprayed cologne at home at night.
*His eyes were red.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• casual pot smoking is wayy different than addiction or serious pot use. I would sit down and talk REAL with him about it . not judgiing not yelling, being upset. just talk about it, what could happen if the police catch him with it, what can happen to YOU if the cops catch him with it.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Okay first of all calm down,,,, you didn't say exactly how old he was or if your insurance would pay for a Rehab program....Call your ex and demand a drug test,, the earlier you can get him help the better,,, I had a BFF go through this and trust me don't dismiss it, if you are amicable with your ex,,, Call him and get your DS some help TODAY!!!! Good luck momma!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Pushing him off on dad doesn't deal with the problem it just evades the situation. Sit down and talk with him about it. My problem is with smoking in general and what it does to a person's body especially young people. Call dad and discuss how the two of you want to handle it and have an intervention.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Have a talk with him don't send him away for the other parent to deal with it. Deal with it yourself Let him know you're willing to talk about it without flying off the handle. Sometimes I think parents make it difficult for the teen to talk to them because they freak out.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• kimigogo?!! why are you even bringing rehab in to this yet? sheesh.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:55 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Hello, responding to PP--YOU have no idea what he has been doing,,, thats why I said call the ex and give DS a drug test.....rehab is the last option, but the poster needs to know what kind and all kinds of drugs her kiddo is doing???
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 12:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Why would you have him go live somewhere else? That won't help anyone. I agree about talking to him and trying to find out how often it is going on etc...
    Anonymous

• well maybe you should fully flesh that thinking out . sheesh. this momma doesnt need to be thinking REHAB right off the start. sheesh.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:26 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• it's just weed. sending him to rehab won't do anything but make him hate you. It's just a phase. You can't stop
    him from doing it esp. if his friends are too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• First of all, listening to music or watching movies/TV that encourage or talk of drugs has nothing to do with your child doing/not doing drugs. Just to make that clear. Don't blame the media for your child's choices.

Secondly, sending him to rehab or away will only get him to resent you. Weed is not a seriously addictive drug. A person can stop weed cold turkey without any harmful side effects or withdrawls. You need to TALK with your child. You are his parent, and by turning your back on the situation is letting him down. You need to step up do your job. Talk to your child and let him know that it isn't cool to do drugs. Regardless of the effects of them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2010