How does one 'live off of the gov.'?

I'm just curious because I see all these people always saying that people have multiple kids so they can get more benefits but the only stuff I know about it like food stamps, medical, TANF(but isn't that temp?) and like SSI(but don't you have to qualify?) I mean how would you live off of this stuff? I'm not starting anything I am just really that stupid. I have no idea what I am missing.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Alot of moms on here believe that EVERYONE who get ANY help from the state, whether it is medical, housing, WIC, food stamps are sitting on their ass at home, not working, and popping babies out evey year.

In truth, both parents can work but may not make enough to make ends meet so they get alittle help. We get food stamps and get just enough to cover our food, but we still have to buy everything else. Our kids get medical but that is because Oklahoma's insurance programs covers every child because children need proper medical care. We also get WIC on our youngest 3 and again it covers just want we need most months. All I get on the WIC is milk, eggs, juice, cereal, and the fruit.

Every family is different. I wish the moms on here that want to point the finger and say "you get welfare, then how can you afford this and this and why are doing that" would ask those moms directly. But they won't because they are cowards.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 1:17 AM on Feb. 1, 2010

• Free housing, free college, if your interested go to DHS.
    Anonymous

• Alos WIC free housing. The more kids you ahve the more you get. YES people can and DO live off it
    Anonymous

• They just do.. Food Stamps, Housing, Medical.. and the list goes on and on.. Then they get large sums back for their taxes..

deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 1:11 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• You can't live off of WIC. WIC is only for the first 5 years of the child's life. They don't supply all your child needs, rather, they SUPPLEMENT your child's food needs.

"Free" housing: if you are referring to programs like HUD, it's not "free". They help to reduce your rent, but you are still responsible for a portion of your rent. My rent is $445. HUD pays $163, and I pay $282.

Food stamps: once again, it's only to supplement your food needs...they don't give you enough to "live off of".

Medical: if a person needs medical insurance, than so be it.

As far as welfare programs, they don't give you enough to live off of. They may increase your benefit slightly if you have another child, but you still can't "live off of".

I think a lot of these stories come from women who are bitter or jealous. They see another woman's situation, and exaggerate the details to make themselves look like the victims.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Don't believe the hype. I took a college course a few years ago, and professor spent 2 weeks discussing all of the false rumors and misconceptions of welfare programs. It really opened my eyes. Most of these stories you hear on cafemom are not 100% true. Rather, they are stories told by misinformed people who think they know how the system operates.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• Free college is more than tuition and books. You get a check each semester more money for you. Hustle and do babysitting, hair, sell stuff, don't report it get a new boyfriend and keep him secret. Food stamps are more than your family eats in a month.
    Anonymous