bloody stool....

my hubby has a torn disk in his back. he was given anti-inflammatory pills and was taking them twice a day as instructed.

during this time, he started having bloody bowl movements every once in a while... we assumed it was due to the pills. so he stopped taking them to see if the bowl problem would stop.

it did......for a little bit.

about 2 mos ago, it started back up. again, it wasn't a daily thing - it just happened every once in a while. i told him he needed to see a colon doctor to check for hemorrhoids.

he did and he had a colonospcy. everything came back fine - no problems at all. that was about a month or so ago.

well today, he had another bloody bowl movement. i'm starting to wonder if he may have an ulcer in his stomach.

will he have to get a scope to see if he has an ulcer? or is there another way to find out? also, do you know if ulcers can cause bloody stool?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Jan. 31, 2010 in Health

• Sometimes bloody stools are caused by a bacteria in your intestines. You have to get medicine to clear it out. There are many other things it could be though.
    Anonymous

• Bloody stools are generally from hemorrhoids, or a hard bowel movement.. especially if he doesnt drink enough water or has been constipated. Hard bowel movements can cause the rectum to tear.. sort of like a stretch mark.. it heals over time and then when you have another large BM you get another tear..

Yes, he would have to have an EGD scope if they are to accurately diagnose an ulcer in the stomach.. if he had an active bleeding ulcer in his stomach he would have black tarry stools...

Bright red blood bowel movements mean Hemorrhoids.. and if the scope proved negative for them at the time of the scope that doesnt necessarily mean he is forever free from them...

I hope this helps...
    deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 1:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• my husband had them for about a year here and there and I FINALLY convinced him to see a doctor- turned out he has ulcerative colitis. They did a colonoscopy and his colon looked HORRIBLE- like something was shredding his insides
    this was about 8 years ago
    has he been to a specialist?
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:36 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• The medicine that he is on for his back can cause that it could be thinning his blood depending how much he is taking
    angel3109

Answer by angel3109 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• my husband had them for about a year here and there and I FINALLY convinced him to see a doctor- turned out he has ulcerative colitis. They did a colonoscopy and his colon looked HORRIBLE- like something was shredding his insides this was about 8 years ago has he been to a specialist?

he did see a colon specialsit in december and she did the colonoscopy.... and it came back clear. perfectly normal colon... that's why i'm thinking it could be stomach related...

Anonymous

he is not taking it anymore....hasn't been for a few months.

Anonymous

• * I read that he had a colonoscopy that looked fine- I just wondered if he has seen a specialist

I hope they fgure out the problem soon
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:48 PM on Jan. 31, 2010

• The specialist is the person who did the colonoscopy.. I am that specialist.... not his specialist... but one in my area...

I am still convinced that my answer is close to the diagnosis...

Did you ask him? Was it bright red? Or black and tarry?
    deenakate

Answer by deenakate at 6:04 PM on Jan. 31, 2010